Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health teammates also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 58868
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: Shared Services
Status: Part Time
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Patient Access & Support Specialist role at UNC Professional Relations serves as an integral point of contact for multiple service lines supporting the UNC Health Care System as well as non-affiliated contracted practices across the state.
This is a remote position.
1. Fronting patient calls for nurse triage and identifying conditions needing urgent intervention.
2. Researching and recommending UNC Health Care System providers to new and existing patients based on their needs and preferences
3. Registering new patients, scheduling, canceling, rescheduling and confirming patient appointments for UNC Health Care System primary care and specialty care facilities across the state and collaborating with internal departments and external entities with a goal of providing the right care at the right time
4. Providing user support for My UNC Chart (patient portal for health records): Answer questions about accessing, navigating and utilizing the website, troubleshoot common issues and provide one call resolutions, route issues needing further investigation to senior level specialists, maintain strict privacy protocols on digital platform, recognize privacy related situations and submit detailed report of possible issues to the Privacy Office when appropriate
5. Coordinating communications between medical professionals for consultation and patient care follow up to ensure patients are receiving timely care.
6. Participating in special projects to add value to the department and it’s support of the UNC Health Care system in a collaborative and respectful way to meet our organizational goals.
7. Maintaining awareness of higher call volumes and taking appropriate action to prioritize and address call waiting queues in order to meet our departmental service level commitments to provide timely patient care and exceptional patient experiences.
8. Accurately document the details of all incoming and outbound calls in real time in Epic in accordance with standard operating procedures (SOPs).
9. Demonstrate competent customer support related to multiple service line offerings including but not limited to: RN Triage support (contracted practices and Health Plan), RN transitions report, system Access, navigations and primary care scheduling, specialty care scheduling (Atrial Fibrillation and Deep Vein Thrombosis follow up appointments), My UNC Chart user support, NGACO (Senior Alliance) patient and provider support, provider to provider consultations (Carolina Consultation Center), UNC REX Healthnet.
● High School degree or GED required
Professional Experience Requirements:
● If Bachelor’s degree, one (1) year of customer service experience, preferably in a health care/patient centered setting. If Associates degree, three (3) years of customer service experience, preferabl in a health care/patient centered setting.If High School degree, five (5) years of customer service experience, preferably in a health care/patient centered setting.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Strong verbal and written communication skills with a focus on patient centered care to meet patient and departmental needs; professionalism, active listening, rapport building, facilitating, empathy, conflict resolution, complaint management, and problem solving.·Provides open, positive mission-focused communication, direction and assistance to all internal and external customers. Express initiative, teamwork and a good attitude. Shows interest and self-motivation.·Ability to work effectively in fast-paced, constantly changing, demanding work environment while maintaining strong critical thinking, communication, and organizational skills.·Assumes additional responsibilities while also identifying situations that need 2nd level review/escalation.·Familiarity with Microsoft Office programs·Strong personal computer and technology skills (including typing)·Ability to access and utilize numerous databases simultaneously·Strong organizational skills and the ability to shift priorities·Must gain knowledge of the UNC Health Care System and all services we support as well as familiarity with some medical terminology during training.·Must gain knowledge of and proficiency in following protocols.
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: Shared Services
Organization Unit: Professional Relations
Work Type: Part Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 20.00
Work Schedule: Variable
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This position is employed by NC Health (Rex Healthcare, Inc., d/b/a NC Health), a private, fully-owned subsidiary of UNC Health Care System, in a department that provides shared services to operations across UNC Health Care; except that, if you are currently a UNCHCS State employee already working in a designated shared services department, you may remain a UNCHCS State employee if selected for this job.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email [email protected] if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.
Learn further E-Verify details in E-Verify (English) or E-Verify (Spanish).
UNC Health supports your right to work. View the Right of Work Statement (English) or Right of Work Statement (Spanish).
View the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (English) or the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (Spanish)posters.
View the PAY TRANSPARENCY (English) or the PAY TRANSPARENCY (Spanish)Nondiscrimination provision posters.
View the Federal Workplace poster. View our EEO/AA Policy Statement.