Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health teammates also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 53909
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Evening Job
The Anesthesia Support Department operates 24/7 and seeks an Anesthesia Technician. The Anesthesia Technician will perform technical work in setting up, calibrating and troubleshooting anesthesia equipment assisting the Anesthesiologist or CRNA with placing invasive and non- invasive monitoring devices on patients, ensuring necessary equipment is in good working condition and properly set up for the anesthesia procedure.
This is a 40 hour a week, available shift: Monday - Friday 1:00pm to 9:30pm. This position qualifies for a generous benefit package including PTO accrual based upon the number of hours hired to work.
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Performs technical work in setting up, calibrating and troubleshooting anesthesia equipment assisting the Anesthesiologist or CRNA with placing invasive and non- invasive monitoring devices on patients, ensuring necessary equipment is in good working condition and properly set up for the anesthesia procedure.
1. Assists the Anesthesiologist or CRNA with invasive and non-invasive monitoring devices on patients and positioning and transport of patients. Prepares fluids and setups for use and observes sterile technique during line placement. Assists with the preinduction, induction, maintenance and extubation /transport of all phases of an anesthetic, anticipating anesthesia care team needs. Correctly labels and handles specimens to be sent to the laboratory. Uses personal protective equipment, handles sharps safely and practices laser safety.
2. Performs quality control and troubleshooting on assigned anesthesia equipment. Maintains equipment in good working order through 12 point inspection. Checks for sterility, date of expiration and any holes/tears in packaging of supplies. Checks and labels fluids/medications accurately, discards outdated/unlabeled fluids and medications. Completes department Quality Assurance program for anesthesia equipment.
3. Sets up anesthesia equipment and supplies. Cleans equipment with approved solution daily, practices scrupulous scope care and documentation according to policy and assures anesthesia equipment is clean before it's use in OR. Prioritizes clinical activities appropriately. Demonstrates both proper use of equipment and knowledge of anesthesia circuits and supplies. Restocks cabinets/ADS supplies and returns unused supplies/equipment to appropriate locations.
● Graduation from an accredited Anesthesia Technician program (or equivalent combination of education, training and experience).
● Basic Life Support certification required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● If graduation from an accredited Anesthesia Technician program: No prior experience required.
● If a High School diploma or GED: Two (2) years of operating room experience in calibration, maintenance, and repair of anesthesia equipment or similar equipment, or related experience in a hospital/healthcare setting.
● To be considered as a Trainee: One (1) year of operating room experience involving direct patient care and/or equipment maintenance and calibration.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Anesthesia Support
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Evening Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email [email protected] if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.
Learn further E-Verify details in E-Verify (English) or E-Verify (Spanish).
UNC Health supports your right to work. View the Right of Work Statement (English) or Right of Work Statement (Spanish).
View the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (English) or the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (Spanish)posters.
View the PAY TRANSPARENCY (English) or the PAY TRANSPARENCY (Spanish)Nondiscrimination provision posters.
View the Federal Workplace poster. View our EEO/AA Policy Statement.