Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health teammates also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Job ID: 60832
Location: Goldsboro, NC
Facility/Division: Wayne UNC Health Care
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Patient Access Specialist ensures each registered patient has a complete and accurate Wayne UNC Health Care medical record, which includes patient demographics, insurance coverage, responsible guarantor and registration precision in a manner which they understand which services they are receiving, their financial responsibilities for the services provided, and expectations of them while at the facility. Uses excellent patient service skills to create an exceptional first impression of Wayne UNC Health Care’s services to patients, families and the public both over the phone and in person. Solves issues resulting from multi-payer situations using deductive reasoning and logic skills.
1. Verifies demographic and Primary Care Provider (PCP) information.
2. Ensures that privacy and consent forms are signed.
3. Collects and posts patient payments received for services.
4. Completes check-in process in Epic.
5. Ensures a provider order is present for walk-in patients.
6. Scans any relevant insurance information into Media Manager.
7. Prints armbands for patients.
8. Informs patients of their liabilities and attempt to collect.
9. Provides financial assistance/Access One information to patients who are unable to pay liabilities.
10. Re-runs RTE (real time eligibility) to ensure the coverage is active and the filing order is correct.
11. Completes registration-related Work Queue assignments provided by supervisor.
12. Completes basic screening for Medicaid eligibility and financial assistance.
13. Abides by the Wayne UNC – Financial Clearance Collections Policy.
14. Satisfies goals pertaining to productivity and quality expectations.
15. Uses professional customer service in all patient and teammate interactions.
16. May need to float to either Admitting or Emergency Department to assist with shift/fluctuation in patient volumes.
17. May need to assist department staffing by being on-call.
18. Complete Productivity Tracker Weekly and email them to PFS Leadership
19. Review/Sign/Commit to the Patient Access Work Standards approved by Human Resources
20. Complete & Sign Off on the Daily Duties Sheets.
21. Review Patient Access Weekly Huddle Minutes to ensure updates/changes are communicated for work processes, Epic changes, Department Meetings, Training Classes, etc.
High school graduate or equivalent required.
Experience Prior experience in a Business Office or Healthcare preferred. Bi-lingual language skills are a plus.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge of medical terminology preferred.
• Outstanding customer service skills with the ability to work well with the public and teammates both in person and over the telephone.
• Able to work with deadlines and multitask.
• Well-organized and detail oriented.
• Accurate data input skills.
• Must have effective oral and written English communication skills in order to communicate in a clear and concise manner with patients, physicians, public, teammates and administration.
• Displays a professional public image at all times.
• Able to work in a fast-paced environment with frequent interruptions.
• Basic knowledge of MS Outlook and able to learn new software rapidly.
• Previous Electronic Health Record (Epic) preferred experience.
Valid NC Driver’s License: No
If driving a Wayne UNC Vehicle, must be 21 years old and MVR must be approved by Risk Management.
Legal Employer: Wayne Health
Entity: Wayne UNC Health Care
Organization Unit: Admitting
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: WAYNE MED
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Not Applicable
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.
Learn further E-Verify details in E-Verify (English) or E-Verify (Spanish).
UNC Health supports your right to work. View the Right of Work Statement (English) or Right of Work Statement (Spanish).
View the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (English) or the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (Spanish)posters.
View the PAY TRANSPARENCY (English) or the PAY TRANSPARENCY (Spanish)Nondiscrimination provision posters.
View the Federal Workplace poster. View our EEO/AA Policy Statement.