Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 60775
Location: Goldsboro, NC
Facility/Division: Wayne UNC Health Care
Status: Full Time
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Central Sterile Instrumentation Clerk collects, cleans, decontaminates, disinfects and/or sterilizes surgical instruments, trays and packs, reusable medical devices and patient care equipment according to established standards and procedures to ensure a sterile and functioning supply of materials and equipment.
*This position qualifies for a 5k Commitment Incentive!*
1. Follows established procedures for receiving, collecting, decontaminating, assembling, packaging, and sterilizing medical equipment.
2. Maintains consistency and continuous workflow between the Operating Room and Central Sterile team. Monitors surgery schedules daily, identifying general, specific and potential needs for all cases. Reviews Physician Preference Cards daily to prioritize workflow and meet case needs.
3. Monitors stock levels and maintains inventory levels in sterile processing, the operating room, and in equipment storage areas. Ensures instruments, trays and medical equipment are readily available to sterile processing customers in a timely manner.
4. Follows cleaning and decontamination processes precisely for instrumentation and flexible endoscopes. Transports items safely in proper containers. Follows manufacturer’s instructions for use (IFU) for chemical preparation/use and all reprocessing steps for instruments. Performs proper pre-cleaning processes, disassembles, decontaminates, cleans, reassembles, tests and sterilizes equipment, adhering to procedures. Uses proper techniques, tools, solutions and equipment for cleaning and/or sterilizing.
5. Prepares, wraps and packages instrumentation in containers with care, following appropriate procedures.
6. Meticulously inspects work for quality and safety. Reprocesses items that are not acceptable. Documents all actions thoroughly.
7. Meticulously inspects instruments and packages for damage. Removes any items or packages that do not pass inspection. Ensures all items are safe to use and in good working order.
8. Assists with cleaning of operating rooms between cases and terminal cleaning. Uses proper disinfecting chemicals, tools and techniques on all surfaces. Removes contaminated items following strict procedures.
9. Maintains readiness of Emergency Code Carts and trauma trays. Receives, cleans and restocks used code carts in a timely manner. Checks and restocks supplies, checks expiration dates, and returns carts or trays to units.
10. Performs preventive maintenance tasks. Tests and inspects equipment as scheduled or needed. Verifies equipment functions properly per manufacturers IFU. Labels and/or removes damaged or broken equipment. Initiates maintenance, repair or replacement or alerts supervisor.
11. Completes quality testing of machines, per departmental/manufacturer procedures, to ensure quality and consistency for decontamination of instruments and medical equipment.
12. Keeps detailed and computerized documentation of all sterilization processes to include load content, cycle selection, parameters and biological results for each load. Reports any irregularities to supervisor.
13. Responds professionally and promptly to emergency requests.
14. Incorporates infection control guidelines during the transferring, storing and transporting of sterile and nonsterile packages. Assures all items released from the department are ready for safe use.
15. Understands and follows all safety requirements. Takes proper safety precautions at all times including wearing PPE. Identifies and corrects or reports any safety or environmental issues.
16. Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of state and federal regulations relative to occupational exposure, compliance, exposure plan, and work practice controls.
17. Participates in continuous quality improvement activities.
18. Participates in staff meetings, and in-service training on topics including but not limited to infection control, patient safety, quality improvement, MSDS and OSHA standards.
High School Diploma or GED required.
Sterile Processing Certification required after one year of experience and must be kept current throughout employment.
1 Year of Sterile Processing experience preferred or completion of Sterile Processing Program .
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge of medical terminology.
• Knowledge of sterilization processes, documentation and delivery of sterile packages.
• Knowledge surgical instrument preparation and assembly, inspection and packaging.
• Knowledge of decontamination, disinfection and cleaning methods.
• Good interpersonal skills. Ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships with teammates, supervisors, providers, administration and patients.
• Strong attention to detail with the ability to complete work assignments accurately and in a timely manner
• Ability to manage multiple and simultaneous responsibilities and to prioritize and reprioritize scheduling of work.
• Ability to work in a physically demanding, high stress environment.
• Good manual dexterity.
• Ability to read, write and communicate effectively in English.
• Proficient with MS Office and able to learn new software rapidly.
Entity: Wayne UNC Health Care
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Rotating
Location of Job:
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Not Applicable
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.