Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health teammates also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 60793
Location: Goldsboro, NC
Facility/Division: Wayne UNC Health Care
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Medical Technologist performs a wide variety of complex critical tests and analyses in the areas of Blood Banking, Clinical Chemistry, Coagulation, Hematology, Immunology, Microbiology and Parasitology which provide clinical information for the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of diseases. Responsible for overall quality, efficiency, and safety in the performance of assigned technical duties.
1. Performs tests on patient samples, completing complex critical analyses following written protocol.
2. Performs and analyzes quality control procedures.
3. Troubleshoots all procedures in the areas assigned.
4. Operates all instruments in the areas assigned.
5. Performs start-up reagent loading and maintenance as required on various instrumentation.
6. Verifies and documents test results using EPIC or appropriate laboratory system.
7. Confirms abnormal results and calls “critical values” to appropriate teammates.
8. Operates HIS and LIS technology proficiently.
9. Maintains work area in a clean and sanitary condition.
10. Assists in the training of new employees and students.
11. Informs supervisors of shortages of supplies or consumables.
12. Assists in writing procedures for the section.
13. Uses appropriate interaction with and provides recommended or required services to all patients. Possesses a basic understanding regarding the needs of neonatal, pediatric, adolescent and geriatric patients and the cultural needs of all patients.
14. May be assigned as the Technologist in charge in the absence of the Director or Lead Technologist.
15. Completes continuing education and in-service programs to meet regulatory and job requirements.
16. Actively participates in staff meetings.
17. Participates in performance improvement activities.
18. Presents and promotes a professional demeanor at all times, establishes high standards of customer service, supports responsibility, pride, and teamwork, remains calm under pressure, and offers reasonable solutions for problems.
19. Maintains a safe environment for self and teammates. Applies knowledge of the principles of universal precautions, routinely and consistently makes use of these principles. Also knowledgeable of appropriate use of personal protective equipment and infection control barriers and devices.
Bachelor’s degree in related discipline (Medical Technology, Laboratory, Chemical or Biological Science) required.
Certification from ASCP preferred.
One year in an acute hospital setting preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge of the materials, procedures and instrumentation used in the section.
• Good analytical skills and the ability to apply the theories and techniques of clinical laboratory science (including evaluation of quality control data) to produce reliable test results which aid the clinician in diagnosis and treatment.
• Ability to read, write and communicate effectively in English.
• Proficient with LIS, HIS, EPIC and MS Office. Able to learn new software rapidly.
• Ability to stand and work on uncarpeted floors for duration or significant portion of shift.
Valid NC Driver’s License: No
If driving a Wayne UNC Vehicle, must be 21 years old and MVR must be approved by Risk Management.
Legal Employer: Wayne Health
Entity: Wayne UNC Health Care
Organization Unit: Lab-Clinical
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: WAYNE MED
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Not Applicable
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.
Learn further E-Verify details in E-Verify (English) or E-Verify (Spanish).
UNC Health supports your right to work. View the Right of Work Statement (English) or Right of Work Statement (Spanish).
View the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (English) or the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (Spanish)posters.
View the PAY TRANSPARENCY (English) or the PAY TRANSPARENCY (Spanish)Nondiscrimination provision posters.
View the Federal Workplace poster. View our EEO/AA Policy Statement.