Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health teammates also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Job ID: 59901
Location: Hendersonville, NC
Facility/Division: Pardee UNC Health Care
Status: Part Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Credentialed Coding Specialist codes all patient charts, in adherence to guidelines provided by AHIMA/AAPC/CMS and other governmental agencies.
• Reviews, analyzes and abstracts physician/other documentation for diagnoses, procedures, ancillary testing, medications, laboratory and other services provided. Communicates with physicians and other health care staff to obtain missing information or to clarify existing information.
• Assigns and/or audits International Classification of Diseases 10-CM (ICD-10) diagnostic and procedural codes, Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) codes with modifiers, and other applicable codes. Groups codes and completed product into payment group. Analyzes information for optimal and proper reimbursement. Ensures compliance with all appropriate coding, billing and data collection regulations and procedures. Uses appropriate software to validate information.
• Performs daily and weekly account audits from claim edit WQs, entering ICD-10-CM, CPT or HCPCS codes as needed to complete accounts into billing status. Researches and resolves problems referred by coders.
• Provides training and serves as a general resource to assist other coders and members of department staff. Participates in continuing education opportunities to maintain credentials, as necessary. Provides information to physicians and other healthcare staff regarding current coding practices and changes in 3rd party, state and federal regulations and guidelines.
• Utilizes a variety of software (e.g. WebCIS, MRE Optum, MS Office, etc.) to compile and validate medical information. Reviews updated Medicare, AHA coding clinics, CPT Assistants and ensures that all changes and/or updates are understood.
• Associate's Degree or a combination of experience and education.
• Must hold a current certification or registration in medical coding as issued by the American Health Information Management Association. Accepted credentials are: Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT), Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA), Certified Coding Specialist (CCS).
• One year of work experience performing medical coding
• Bachelor's Degree
Legal Employer: Pardee - HCHC
Entity: Pardee UNC Health Care
Organization Unit: Medical Reco
Work Type: Part Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 20.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: PARDEEHOSP
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Not Applicable
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.
Learn further E-Verify details in E-Verify (English) or E-Verify (Spanish).
UNC Health supports your right to work. View the Right of Work Statement (English) or Right of Work Statement (Spanish).
View the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (English) or the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (Spanish)posters.
View the PAY TRANSPARENCY (English) or the PAY TRANSPARENCY (Spanish)Nondiscrimination provision posters.
View the Federal Workplace poster. View our EEO/AA Policy Statement.