Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health teammates also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Job ID: 62340
Location: Goldsboro, NC
Facility/Division: Wayne UNC Health Care
Status: Full Time
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Assists in the preparation and care of surgical patients under the general direction of a Registered Nurse. Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to maintaining the sterile field, anticipating the needs of the surgical team and being constantly vigilant to the adherence of aseptic technique.
Schedule: 6:40a to 3:10p Mon-Fri. Call one night per week and every 5th weekend. Occasional 7a to 5p and 7a to 7p shifts required.
*This position qualifies for a 10k Commitment Incentive*
1. Provides skilled, safe care within scope of practice.
a. Performs sponge, sharps and instrument counts in accordance with Operating Room policy.
b. Handles specimens in accordance with policies, procedures and infection control practices.
c. Monitors and controls the environment for sterility.
d. Provides medications and solutions as prescribed.
e. Applies knowledge of proper positioning of the surgical patient.
2. Prepares for surgical cases based on patient needs and provider preference cards. Checks and ensures sterility and availability of instruments, supplies and equipment. Is knowledgeable in operation of equipment. Anticipates provider and supply needs during cases and responds accordingly.
3. Assists with the teaching of newly hired technologists. Serves as a resource and role model to teammates.
4. Is flexible and available to work a variety of shifts to ensure coverage for the area.
5. Responds appropriately to emergency and code situations. Remains calm and works effectively in stressful situations.
6. Completes continuing education and in-service programs to meet regulatory and job requirements.
7. Presents and promotes a professional demeanor at all times, exhibits high standards of customer service, supports responsibility, pride, and teamwork, and offers reasonable solutions for problems.
8. Demonstrates appropriate interaction with and provides recommended care and services to all patients. Ensures the delivery of age appropriate, culturally sensitive and ethical care for patients.
9. Applies knowledge of principles of standard precautions. Routinely uses PPE to avoid risk of exposure to self and others.
10. Contributes to the efficiency, effectiveness, quality and safety of the operating room by working cooperatively, respectfully and with integrity.
Graduate of a Surgical Technologist program.
BCLS Certification required.
One year as a surgical scrub technologist preferred. New graduates are encouraged to apply.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Working knowledge of surgical procedures, instrumentation, suture, and/or specialty supplies.
• Knowledge of anatomy, physiology and pathophysiology pertinent to patient procedures.
• Demonstrates awareness of environmental safety practices for patient, self and team at all times.
• Ability to read, write and communicate effectively in English.
• Basic PC proficiency with the ability to learn new software tools.
• Ability to stand and/or walk for duration of shift and meet the physical requirements of the job.
Valid NC Driver’s License: No.
If driving a Wayne UNC Vehicle, must be 21 years old and MVR must be approved by Risk Management.
Legal Employer: Wayne Health
Entity: Wayne UNC Health Care
Organization Unit: Operating Room
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 80.00
Work Schedule: Variable
Location of Job: WAYNE MED
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.
Learn further E-Verify details in E-Verify (English) or E-Verify (Spanish).
UNC Health supports your right to work. View the Right of Work Statement (English) or Right of Work Statement (Spanish).
View the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (English) or the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (Spanish)posters.
View the PAY TRANSPARENCY (English) or the PAY TRANSPARENCY (Spanish)Nondiscrimination provision posters.
View the Federal Workplace poster. View our EEO/AA Policy Statement.