Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health teammates also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Job ID: 55599
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
This position is eligible for our Clinical Laboratory Commitment Incentive of $10,000. To learn more on the incentive program guidelines and eligible positions, visit https://jobs.unchealthcare.org/pages/lab-incentive-program?&bid=12881
Performs specialized and complex technical tasks in screening slides of clinical specimens to detect evidence of cancer or other pathological or diseased conditions. Duties include marking abnormalities, recording diagnosis, an filing cases for subsequent review with pathologist.
Hours: Monday-Friday 8:00 AM-4:30 PM 10-hr shifts available after probationary period and acceptable performance.
1. Complies listing of patients for follow-up analysis of specimens. Prepares and analyzes subsequent specimens for cell changes and reports findings to pathologist.
2. Filters and spins fluids (centrifuge), prepares slides and stains specimens. Classifies slides, records classification, and presents slides with unusual cell structures to pathologist for further examination.
3. Prepares various solutions as required maintains inventory of supplies reorders as required.
4. Provides technical instruction and guidance to cytology students, reviews slides screened by students assists in training of new employees.
5. Receives blood/fluid specimens sent to the laboratory or collects specimens from patients observing strict principles of asepsis and anti-sepsis to prevent infection of patients and contamination of specimens.
6. Reviews patient history for each case maintains files of slides, diagnoses and laboratory reports.
● Bachelor's degree and completion of a one (1) year training program in an American Society for Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) or Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Program (CAAHEP) accredited school of Cytology.
● CT(ASC) certified by the ASCP Board of Certification (BOC) within one year of hire date.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Bachelor's degree and completion of a one (1) year training program in an American Society for Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) or Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Program (CAAHEP) accredited school of Cytology, no years of experience required.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Surgical Pathology
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
Salary Range: $29.98-$37.48
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email [email protected] if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.
Learn further E-Verify details in E-Verify (English) or E-Verify (Spanish).
UNC Health supports your right to work. View the Right of Work Statement (English) or Right of Work Statement (Spanish).
View the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (English) or the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (Spanish)posters.
View the PAY TRANSPARENCY (English) or the PAY TRANSPARENCY (Spanish)Nondiscrimination provision posters.
View the Federal Workplace poster. View our EEO/AA Policy Statement.