Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health teammates also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Job ID: 63012
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Under the direction of the Respiratory Therapy management and according to UNCH and departmental policies and procedures, the Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO) Specialist is responsible for all aspects of monitoring and troubleshooting the ECMO circuit and related equipment during the treatment period. The ECMO Specialist is also responsible for collaborating with bedside RNs, physicians, and other members of the health care team to coordinate care for these very complex patients.
1. Planning and Managing Care - According to UNCH and department standards, and utilizing unique knowledge regarding extracorporeal circulation and its effects on the body, independently uses and documents effective planning, deliverance and evaluation of goal focused, individualized safe age and culture-specific care for all patients. Works in conjunction with the bedside nurse to ensure that the patient on ECMO has adequate end organ perfusion, maintains acid base balance and hemodynamic stability within ordered parameters, has adequate oxygenation and ventilation, along with maintaining other parameters as ordered by the ECMO service.
2. Continuum of Care Planning - Consistently role models the coordination of comprehensive, age and culture specific continuum of care planning for all patients and families. Using available internal resources and systems, consults with healthcare team providing complete and appropriate information for complex continuum of care planning.
3. Patient and Family Education – Independently develops, evaluates and revises individualized, age and culture-specific teaching plans for all patients and families.
4. Problem Solving - Identifies problems and utilizes problem solving skills to participate in finding solutions to resolve problems, following through to implement solutions. Role models the use of the problem solving process.
5. Communication and Collaboration - Clearly and efficiently communicates significant information from one level or location of care and/or from one caregiver to another. Independently collaborates with multidisciplinary team members. Role models effective communication/collaboration and directly manages conflict resolution.
6. Continuous Learning - Assumes responsibility for continuous learning, engaging in educational activities annually or pursuing advanced academic education. Develops and achieves personal and professional goals. Is proactively involved in quality improvement by the identification of issues, planning and evaluation of quality improvement projects.
● Associate's degree from an accredited Respiratory Therapy program or Nursing.
● If a Respiratory Therapist: Licensed as a Respiratory Therapist by the North Carolina Respiratory Care Board and registry eligible by the National Board of Respiratory Care.
● If a RN: Licensed to practice as a Registered Nurse n the state of North Carolina.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Two (2) years of experience as a Registered Nurse or Respiratory Therapist.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Advanced knowledge of principles and techniques of extracorporeal support. Interpersonal communication skills necessary to work with hospital employees, physicians, patients, family members and community professionals. Must possess exceptional critical thinking skills and deal with extreme pressure and stress. Ability to rotate shifts and/or work flexible hours to meet patient care needs.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: ECMO
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 36.00
Work Schedule: Rotating
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
Salary per hour: $29.98 - $37.48 (minimum - midpoint)
Pay offers are determined by experience and internal equity
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email [email protected] if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.
Learn further E-Verify details in E-Verify (English) or E-Verify (Spanish).
UNC Health supports your right to work. View the Right of Work Statement (English) or Right of Work Statement (Spanish).
View the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (English) or the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (Spanish)posters.
View the PAY TRANSPARENCY (English) or the PAY TRANSPARENCY (Spanish)Nondiscrimination provision posters.
View the Federal Workplace poster. View our EEO/AA Policy Statement.