Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Job ID: 60698
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve. Join the UNC Health Team as an Ortho Cast Tech!
Provides a variety of services associated with orthopedic casting procedures to patients, their families, and other health care providers. Patient care is performed in accordance with physician's orders, and work is supervised by a physician.
UNC Children's Specialty Services at Raleigh and the Ambulatory Care Center in Chapel Hill are looking for a dedicated Orthopedic Cast Tech to support services at both locations. This position will cover casting support in Raleigh 2-3 days per week and casting support in Chapel Hill for the remainder of the week.
Hours: Monday through Friday either 7:30am-4:00pm or 8:00am-4:30pm. No holidays or weekends are required.
*This position qualifies for a $5,000 commitment incentive which will be paid over a three (3) year work commitment. Equal installments will be paid after each six (6) months of work completed. Learn more about the incentive program here: https://jobs.unchealthcare.org/pages/unc-medical-center-unc-faculty-physicians-outpatient-commitment-incentive-program
1. Ensures that adequate supplies of plaster, padding, linen, bandages, splints and related materials are available in each procedure room.
2. Ensures that all equipment, including cast saws, cast tables, and assorted hardware (pin cutters, drills, screwdrivers, etc.) are ready and in proper working condition.
3. Ensures that pertinent clinic notes and x-rays are available for each patient. Escorts patient to exam rooms and prepares patient for exam/treatment. Orients patients, enters ancillary orders and directs patients to studies.
4. Instructs patients and families in use and care of immobilizing devices. Reinforces routine instructions given to patients by other healthcare providers. Distributes patient education materials.
5. Observes, collects and documents patient information obtained while providing care. Reports significant changes or pertinent information to licensed personnel.
6. Provides care/treatments to patients as outlined in plan of care including, but not limited to measurement of vital signs, height and weight. Performs skin preps/scrubs and simple wound care and assists with clinic-based procedures. Creates, applies, and removes immobilizing devices such as splints, wet plaster and fiberglass casts.
● High School diploma or GED
● No licensure or certification required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● One (1) year of direct patient care in a clinical setting including six (6) months of closely related experience
● If employee has certification as a Ortho Tech (NBCOT), no years of experience is required.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements: Preferred candidates should have previous casting experience and a knowledge of pediatric care.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: NC Child Specialty Clinic-Ral
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Raleigh
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
Salary Range: $16.81 - $21.01 per hour (minimum to midpoint)
Job offers are determined by experience and internal equity.
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email [email protected] if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.