Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health teammates also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Job ID: 70416
Location: Smithfield, NC
Facility/Division: Johnston Health
Status: Part Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Provides diabetic patient assessments, conducts educational and instructional activities for diabetic patients and assists in the development and selection of patient education materials.
1. Assists in the development and selection of patient education materials, policies, protocols, and procedures that enhance the diabetes education provided to patients.
2. Educates patients on use of continuous glucose monitoring and other new technology for diabetes management as it emerges.
3. Instructs an individual diabetes patient in diabetes medical nutrition therapy if they are referred from a community physician.
4. Instructs patients in the use of insulin pumps. Provides pump management and patient self-management instruction if so ordered by their UNC endocrinologist or advanced practice provider under protocol. Processes pump paperwork and follow-up by phone as needed with new pump patients.
5. Participates in team meetings, ADA DSME meetings or other administrative functions.
6. Provides an assessment of the patient and determines mutually acceptable diabetes self-management goals and outcomes, develops a plan to obtain those outcomes. Assists the patient in implementing those goals, evaluates the behavior change process and documents appropriately.
7. Provides diabetes education and management on all aspects of diabetes self-management to adult patients referred by a UNC endocrinologist or advance practice provider for Type 1 or 2 diabetes or gestational diabetes. This includes but is not limited to insulin instruction, blood glucose meter instruction, diabetes complication prevention, behavioral goal setting, diabetes medical nutrition therapy, meal planning and carbohydrate counting.
8. Teaches the American Diabetes Association (ADA) Diabetes Self-Management Education (DSME) Program classes as a clinical instructor on a rotating basis for Type 2 diabetes patients referred by their endocrinologist or advanced practice provider.
● Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate discipline.
● Licensed Dietitian/Nutritionist or licensed to practice as a Registered Nurse in the state of North Carolina. Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE)
Professional Experience Requirements:
● If Bachelor’s degree, 3 years’ experience as an Registered Dietitian
● If Master’s degree, 1 year experience as an Registered Dietitian
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: Johnston Health
Organization Unit: Education
Work Type: Part Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 24.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Smithfield
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
This position is employed by NC Health (Rex Healthcare, Inc., d/b/a NC Health), a private, fully-owned subsidiary of UNC Heath Care System. This is not a State employed position.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email [email protected] if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.
Learn further E-Verify details in E-Verify (English) or E-Verify (Spanish).
UNC Health supports your right to work. View the Right of Work Statement (English) or Right of Work Statement (Spanish).
View the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (English) or the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (Spanish)posters.
View the PAY TRANSPARENCY (English) or the PAY TRANSPARENCY (Spanish)Nondiscrimination provision posters.
View the Federal Workplace poster. View our EEO/AA Policy Statement.