Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health teammates also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Job ID: 64336
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Pay-out Details and Schedule:
The Commitment Incentive will be paid over a three-year period, beginning at 6 months from the start date, and every six (6) months through the third-anniversary date following the schedule below:
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Provide safe and timely ground transport of patients, while also providing basic and critical care life support to patients.
1. Monitors patient condition during ground transport to provide optimal stabilization through a critical care level of expertise, including mechanical ventilation, ECMO, Balloon Pump, ventricular assist devices and advanced monitoring
2. Monitors communication equipment and communicates with dispatch personnel, medical staff, family members and other stakeholders: * Ensures relevant information is collected and proper treatment is administered. * Communicates assessments and plan of care in a professional manner with the appropriate personnel.
3. Documents patients’ status, delivery of care and evaluation of the patients’ response to care according to unit specific procedures and established protocols.
4. Contacts physicians for guidance, as needed, and follows treatment protocols as described by UNC Hospitals Critical Care Transport Medical Direction.
5. Monitors patient condition during transport to provide optimal stabilization.
6. Operates various medical and mechanical equipment in the pre-hospital, hospital, and aviation environment. Ensures that medical equipment is functional and operational during transport. Restocks supplies as needed and, notifies staff of needed equipment repairs.
7. Operates extensive medical and mechanical equipment in the hospital and transport environment, such as multimodality ventilators capable of invasive ventilation and monitors with invasive hemodynamic capabilities. Ensures all medical equipment is functioning; restocks medical supplies as needed.
8. Obtains direction regarding further advanced care from medical staff. Delivers emergency and critical care, such as rapid sequence induction, medication assisted intubation, surgical airway, management of thoracostomy tubes, ability to manage central lines, blood product infusion, continuous temperature management, fetal heart monitoring, and central line placement, in accordance with protocols under UNC Hospitals Critical Care Transport Medical Direction
9. Participates in plan of care for critical patients and require transport from referring institutions as well as using advanced medications to control blood pressure, heart rate, arrhythmias, and sedation.
● High School diploma or GED
● North Carolina EMT-Paramedic certification or National Equivalent with ability to obtain NC Paramedic within 30 days of hire
● National Registry Paramedic –Preferred for in-state but required within 12 months of hire
● Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) provider certification
● Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) provider certification
● Basic Life Support (BLS) provider certification
● Trauma certification such as ITLS, PHTLS or TNCC
● Professional certification required within 18 months of hire-includes CCEMT-P (preferred), FPC, or CCP-C
● Valid NC Driver’s License in good standing or able to obtain prior to start* NC, VA, SC and TN are all acceptable
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Three (3) years of Paramedic experience in a high volume ALS EMS service or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: RDU Ground
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 36.00
Work Schedule: Variable
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email [email protected] if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.
Learn further E-Verify details in E-Verify (English) or E-Verify (Spanish).
UNC Health supports your right to work. View the Right of Work Statement (English) or Right of Work Statement (Spanish).
View the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (English) or the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (Spanish)posters.
View the PAY TRANSPARENCY (English) or the PAY TRANSPARENCY (Spanish)Nondiscrimination provision posters.
View the Federal Workplace poster. View our EEO/AA Policy Statement.