Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health teammates also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Job ID: 70118
Location: Durham, NC
Facility/Division: UNC REX Healthcare
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Performs a variety of complex duties in support of reimbursement from patients and insurance carriers.
1. Collect delinquent account payments from patients and carriers. Authorized to expedite garnishment of wages for payment of outstanding charges. Collect payment on delinquent accounts by processing forms, generating correspondence, responding to appeals and presenting case at hearings.
2. Contact insurance carriers to obtain authorizations and referral approvals for services and procedures. Research medical records to gather information and substantiate medical justification for procedures as required by insurance carriers. Submits requested medical information to insurance carrier.
3. Evaluate accounts, billing, payments, and posting of accurate charges for a highly specialized and complex medical service such as transplant
4. Maintain data tables for systems that support Patient Accounting operations. Evaluate carrier and departmental information and determines data to be included in system tables
5. May serve as a lead worker to provide problem resolution and assistance to lower level positions.
6. Obtain information from patients to verify insurance coverage and financial status in order to obtain proper reimbursement. In cases of acute patient presentation, obtain identity of patient, insurance information, etc. or follow up with patient for information when patient is coherent.
7. Perform other office/administrative support duties. NOTE This duty should not comprise more than 40% of the position's total duties.
8. Post payments and denials to patient accounts, reconcile accounts, research and resolve a variety of problems relating to posting of payments and charges, insurance denials, secondary billing issues, credit balances, sequencing of charges, and non-payment of claims. Contact patients, physicians and insurance companies to obtain information necessary for account resolution through write-offs, reversals, adjustments, refunds or other methods.
9. Process a variety of forms that may be complicated by legal issues (Psychiatry, patient confidentiality) in accordance with UNCHCS policies and procedures. Input information into variety of systems
10. Research and determine if carrier denial of claim is valid. Abstract information from medical records to support appeal of carrier denials and/or make recommendations to change coding of charges in accordance with ICD-9 and CPT codes. Resolve denials of claims with carriers and patients.
11. Researches, analyzes, resolves and collects patient accounts receivable. Utilizes a variety of systems to analyze insurance and demographic information responds to requests for account information processes a variety of records and reports and contacts third party carriers, patients and employers to resolve outstanding accounts. Accurately documents collection activities performed on outstanding accounts receivable.
12. Serve as a resource for physicians, insurance carriers and patients to resolve questions/ problems pertaining to patient accounts.
13. When dealing with indigent patients, expedite completion of applications for Medicaid and other programs (via GFS) by reviewing applications for accuracy and completeness. Advise patients of programs available to provide coverage and persuades patients to apply. Establish payment plans for patients who have no method of payment when all options are exhausted.
● High School diploma or GED
● No licensure or certification required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Three (3) years of experience in a clerical, accounting or customer service setting
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Substantial knowledge of a variety of carrier policies, procedures and practices is required.
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: UNC REX Healthcare
Organization Unit: UNCHCS HomeCare Admin
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Durham
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This position is employed by NC Health (Rex Healthcare, Inc., d/b/a NC Health), a private, fully-owned subsidiary of UNC Heath Care System. This is not a State employed position.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email [email protected] if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.
Learn further E-Verify details in E-Verify (English) or E-Verify (Spanish).
UNC Health supports your right to work. View the Right of Work Statement (English) or Right of Work Statement (Spanish).
View the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (English) or the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (Spanish)posters.
View the PAY TRANSPARENCY (English) or the PAY TRANSPARENCY (Spanish)Nondiscrimination provision posters.
View the Federal Workplace poster. View our EEO/AA Policy Statement.