Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health teammates also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Job ID: 72170
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Responsible for providing the population served by the North Carolina Jaycee Burn Center with the capacity for rehabilitation planning, disability adjustment counseling, vocational development and placement, disability management and systematic follow-up. The Rehabilitation Counselor practices in both inpatient clinical areas, with extension to the outpatient areas to provide continuity of care. Work is self-planned and self-directed with minimal supervision.
1. Barrier removal--Works with employer, nurse case manager, attorney, insurance adjustor, injured employee and others toward individual's return to work and home with adequate accommodations (disability management) in accordance with the ADA.
2. Case Management--Manages caseload of individuals to maximize independence and employability of burn-injured adults coping with medical, personal, social, and vocational difficulties that result from accidents. Assists patients in implementing their treatment plan. Recommends and coordinates service delivery, utilizing community and in-house resources. Follows up with patients after discharge.
3. Compliance and liaison services- Facilitates the Final rating clinic in collaboration with the NC Jaycee Burn center medical director monthly to review and close workers’ compensation claims for injured workers admitted into the center. Requires knowledge and understanding of the workers’ compensation system and requirements. Develops and maintains system of compliance for workers compensation for injured workers in Epic to ensure appropriate billing, timely referrals, and closed loop communication amongst providers and insurance companies alike.
4. Conducts vocational assessments to assess job readiness, prevent secondary injury, manage pain by gathering information related to work history, job analysis, transferability of skills, and other factors related to vocational functioning. Identifies significant employability factors and recommends services to eliminate vocational barriers
5. Ensures that all vocational rehabilitation services are initiated and coordinated for patients. Develops an individualized written treatment plan with members of the Burn Team, which addresses the mental, emotional and psychosocial adjustment to maximize potential functioning. Complies with the Industrial Commission protocol for worker’s compensation injuries and ensures appropriate documentation is completed.
6. Gathers, evaluates and integrates medical, vocational, psychological, social and economic information on the patient to identify strengths, weaknesses and needs with regard to rehabilitation. Evaluates and assesses pre-injury statuses, nature of the burn, impact of disfigurement, reaction to injury/treatment, and psychological adjustments.
7. Works with the multidisciplinary team to develop research programs and carry out the research protocol.
● Master's degree in Rehabilitation Counseling or Rehabilitation Psychology.
● Certified Rehabilitation Counselor by the Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification. Will provide 6 months to obtain the certification.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Two (2) years of progressive experience as an independent rehabilitation counselor in a direct patient care setting with an emphasis on multidisciplinary team participation, vocational assessment and disability management.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Surgery Inpatient Management
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email [email protected] if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.
Learn further E-Verify details in E-Verify (English) or E-Verify (Spanish).
UNC Health supports your right to work. View the Right of Work Statement (English) or Right of Work Statement (Spanish).
View the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (English) or the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (Spanish)posters.
View the PAY TRANSPARENCY (English) or the PAY TRANSPARENCY (Spanish)Nondiscrimination provision posters.
View the Federal Workplace poster. View our EEO/AA Policy Statement.