Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 70985
Location: Hendersonville, NC
Facility/Division: Pardee UNC Health Care
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Utilization Manager (UM) assesses new admissions, continued stay and discharge review cases for medical necessity, appropriate class and level of care (LOC). This position works collaboratively with an interdisciplinary team (including physicians, other care providers, payers, etc.) to ensure the patient’s needs are met and care delivery is coordinated. The UM completes utilization reviews in accordance with federal regulations and the health system’s Utilization Review Plan.
• Uses approved criteria and conducts admission review/class change review as trigger by patient admission to the hospital to ensure appropriateness of the setting and timely implementation of the plan of care. Identifies and obtains observation services as appropriate. Partners with physicians, nursing, and other care providers to help ensure timely and accurate documentation of patient data and treatments. Communicates daily with the Care Manager to manage level of care transitions & appropriate utilization of services. Coordinates with the appropriate staff/payers to assure third party payer pre-certification and/or re-certifications when required. Discharge Facilitation: Utilizes high risk screening criteria to make appropriate referrals. Identifies patient/families with the complex psychosocial, on-going medical transition planning issues, continuing care needs by initiating appropriate care management referrals. Initiates appropriate social work referrals.
• Performs utilization management assessments and interventions, using collaboration with interdisciplinary team approach, on assigned patients as appropriate to ensure optimal patient outcomes. Using approved criteria, conducts initial and continued stay reviews to monitor the patient's progress along the continuum of care and intervenes as necessary to ensure appropriateness of setting and that the services provided are quality-driven, efficient, and effective. Enters all pertinent review data into the correct computer system in a timely manner. Consults with Physician Advisor as necessary to resolve barriers through appropriate administrative and medical channels.
• Monitors and guides to trend interdisciplinary documentation and guides medical staff in documentation that will assist in coding accuracy, enhance quality of care, reflect accurate severity of illness and appropriate reimbursement. Facilitates patient movement to appropriate (acuity) level of care including observation services issues through collaboration with patient/patient representative, multidisciplinary team, third party payers and care managers/social workers. Provides information regarding denials and approvals to appropriate staff and/or designated entities. Documents and delivers notifications to patients, patient representative and/or appropriate staff. Reviews Pre-Scheduled surgery admissions for proper status order for inpatient-only procedures.
• Collaborates to problem-solve issues with complex patients and identify trends. Formulates potential solutions with Care Manager and Social Worker and continuously monitors cases/follows up on all action items. Proactively identify high risk cases that need to be escalated to the list that are not scheduled for discussion that week.
• Must be licensed to practice as a Registered Nurse in the state of North Carolina or one of compact states.
• Two (2) years of experience working as a Registered Nurse.
• Strong verbal and written communication.
• Basic Life Support (BLS) certification.
• Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN)
• Certification in Case Management
Legal Employer: Pardee - HCHC
Entity: Pardee UNC Health Care
Organization Unit: Acute Cs Mgt
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: PARDEEHOSP
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
UNC Health and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.