Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health teammates also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Job ID: 70949
Location: Hillsborough, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve. Join the UNC Health Team as an Interventional Rad Tech!
Demonstrates expert knowledge in a variety of functions requiring considerable anatomic and physiologic
understanding, advanced 2D and 3D digital imaging operations, excellent patient care, strict adherence to sterile technique, and patient monitoring. Provides diagnostic and interventional oncology, cardiothoracic, neuro, abdominal, vascular and vascular surgery, pediatrics, musculoskeletal procedural imaging, as well as endovascular cardiothoracic aortic repair with the utilization of moderate sedation or general anesthesia. Vascular Interventional staff are vital team members of the surgical oncology, IA Stroke, Aortic Code Team, and Trauma services, and share responsibility of Pulmonary Embolus Response Team (PERT) and Trans-Arterial Valve Repair (TAVR) with Cardiac Services.
Hours: Monday-Friday, 7:30am-4:00pm
1. Documentation Schedules patient for hospital transportation. Coordinates with general anesthesia, med/surg teams, inpatient chemo pharmacy, and intensive care units to minimize patient delays. Creates procedural order, if necessary. Confirms patient identity and that
correct procedural consent has been obtained. Knows acceptable lab values and procedure contraindications and shares information with attending physician if a variance is identified. Maintains room procedure sheet for documentation of procedure performed and all supplies used during the course of the procedure. Inputs necessary procedural information (biopsy passes, intravascular pressure measurements, lines, drains, mechanical thrombectomy attempts), fluoroscopy time and dose measurement, and amount of sedation and intravenous contrast used. Ensures proper primary and secondary procedural coding based on procedural diagnostics and/or subsequent intervention. Completes proper image manipulation and transmission to IMPAX from fluoroscopy, ultrasound, CT, and IVUS units. Imports prior CT scan data to fusion software for real-time roadmapping during aortic repair. Records data for endovascular repair to disk.
2. Equipment Operation: Provides high quality multi-modality imaging support during interventional procedures using fluoroscopic, ultrasound, and computed tomography equipment. Demonstrates understanding of specialized imaging techniques to achieve optimum results in patients with compromised cardiothoracic output or evidence of malignancies that impede ideal circumstances forprocedural imaging. Performs portable interventional procedures requiring use of ultrasound equipment. Supports other clinical partners, including but not limited to operating room radiologic technologists and cardiac cath specialists during intra-operative cases in which they require the use of interventional radiology equipment and inventory. Performs image post-processing and quality assurance of images. Performs systems checks and quality control testing on equipment to determine functionality. Cleans radiographic equipment and procedural suites. Operates single plane and bi-plane digital imaging systems, ultrasound, CT scan, IVUS, power injector, AngioJet, Penumbra, EKOS, CT fusion, iGuide technology, radiofrequency, microwave, and cryoablation, and other hard and software used for diagnostic and interventional procedures. Notifies Clinical Supervisor/Imaging Manager of equipment malfunction. Troubleshoots equipment functionality with vendor tech support.
3.. Patient Care: Describes exam to patient, positions patient on procedural table and assists with hemodynamic monitoring. Alerts physician and nursing staff if a change in patient condition is noted. Prepares patient for procedure using sterile technique. Assists interventional proceduralist as first assist by offering sterile back table and intraprocedural supply management. Assists in administration and documentation of regulated pharmaceuticals (intravenous contrast, heparin analogues). Practices optimum radiation protection for patient and staff in the procedure room. Aides in application of post procedural dressings. Ensures that all anatomic or foreign body specimens are properly identified and delivered to the appropriate collection site.
4. Set Up: Stages interventional suite for upcoming procedure by preparing sterile trays and accessories, preparing imaging and interventional equipment for operation, entering patient information into all imaging systems, and obtaining pertinent diagnostic information such as prior diagnostic imaging, medical records and lab results, and using quality sterile technique to prepare both the patient and the equipment. Ensures proper pharmaceuticals are accounted for and ready for administration, including chemotherapy, radionuclides, and intra-arterial/venous contrast.
5. Supply Management: Complies with departmental and room supply strategies by determining what items are needed as well as anticipating patient needs and providing alternative items the proceduralist may require, and re-stock area appropriately. Makes lists and notifies Inventory Supervisor of supply needs. Performs required procedure for the collection, cleaning, storage, packaging and distribution of any and all tools/supplies to be sterilized. Documents all supplies used during each procedure, as well as patient charge information for billing purposes. Disposes of used supply items and trays, including biohazardous waste and chemopharmaceuticals.
6. Team Support: Assists physicians by providing all necessary supplies and imaging and interventional equipment during procedures such as catheters, guidewires, sheaths, embolization supplies, stents, medications and miscellaneous supplies. Acts as first assist to proceduralist, offering assistance in tableside management of supplies as well as back table management. Aides Clinical Supervisor in the onboarding of new employees and precepting radiography students
7. May perform workflow coordinator responsibilities such as coordinating staff schedules with interventional nursing, managing patient workflow, acting as a liaison between Interventional Radiology and the department of anesthesia, as well as other hospital units to ensure continuity of care, and acting as team lead in assigning additional technologist assignments and responsibilities in lieu of the Clinical Supervisor.
● Associate's degree or completion of an accredited Radiologic Sciences Program.
● Registered by the American Registry of Radiological Sciences or registry eligible and become registered within one (1) year from date of hire. (Registry eligible candidates must provide a copy of diploma from accredited program.) Must maintain registry status and continuing education requirements annually.
● Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Provider certification –or- Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) certification
Professional Experience Requirements:
● No prior experience required.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: UNCH VIR-HBOH
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Hillsborough
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
Salary Range: $29.98 - $37.48 per hour (minimum to midpoint)
Pay offers are determined by experience and internal equity.
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email [email protected] if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.
Learn further E-Verify details in E-Verify (English) or E-Verify (Spanish).
UNC Health supports your right to work. View the Right of Work Statement (English) or Right of Work Statement (Spanish).
View the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (English) or the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (Spanish)posters.
View the PAY TRANSPARENCY (English) or the PAY TRANSPARENCY (Spanish)Nondiscrimination provision posters.
View the Federal Workplace poster. View our EEO/AA Policy Statement.