Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 70655
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
This position is eligible for our Clinical Laboratory Incentive Program. To learn more on the incentive program guidelines and eligible positions, visit https://jobs.unchealthcare.org/pages/lab-incentive-program?&bid=12881
The McLendon Clinical Laboratories Cytogenetics Lab is currently recruiting applicants for a full time Cytogenetic Technologist position. This technologist will serve as a generalist within the Cytogenetics Laboratory. Duties will include specimen processing, short and long-term tissue culturing, slide preparation, microscope analysis, karyotyping, FISH and general lab duties. FISH experience, and experience with the analysis of cancer cytogenetics cases preferred. Excellent communication, troubleshooting skills, and the ability to work in a team environment are essential. This technologist will play a lead role in supporting the goals of the McLendon Clinical Laboratories and UNC Health.
Hours: Monday to Friday 9:00am to 5:30pm and participation in a rotating weekend on call schedule.
1. Investigates problems with equipment, test results, specimens, and/or workflow.
2. May participate on teams or perform special projects/assignments.
3. May perform teaching of Clinical Laboratory Science students and Pathology residents and training of new employees. May serve as a technical resource.
4. Performs quality control and equipment maintenance in the Cytogenetics laboratory.
5. Reports results to healthcare providers. Consults/confers with healthcare providers regarding test results.
6. Reviews test results to ensure accuracy of report and timely correction of errors.
7. Performs cytogenetic testing procedures: cell culture and processing, microscopic analysis and may perform FISH and microarray testing. Observes test performance and trends and provides data.
8. Prepares solutions and reagents and verifies preparation quality.
9. May serve as a technical resource.
● Bachelor's degree in Clinical Laboratory Science, Chemistry Science, Biological science, Diagnostic Genetic Sciences
● CG (ASCP) Board of Certification eligible (must be received within one year of hire date.)
Professional Experience Requirements:
● If Bachelor's degree in Clinical Laboratory Science or a Chemistry or Biological science and completion of a NACCLS accredited Cytogenetics program or completion of a Bachelor of Science in Diagnostic Genetic Sciences, then no years of experience required.
● If Bachelor's degree in Clinical Laboratory Science or a Chemistry or Biological science, then one (1) year of full-time experience in a cytogenetic laboratory required.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: UNCH Molecular And Cytogenetics
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
Work Type Assignment: Onsite
Salary Range: $25.94-$32.43 (minimum-midpoint)
Pay offers are determined by experience and internal equity.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email [email protected] if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
UNC Health and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.