Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health teammates also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Job ID: 68840
Location: Goldsboro, NC
Facility/Division: Wayne UNC Health Care
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Unit Secretary-Nursing Assistant I performs a variety of secretarial support and basic nursing care activities for patients and families during his/her assigned shift, working under the supervision of the RN/LPN as defined by the NC Board of Nursing. Communicates with nursing staff, provider office staff, and/or other entities regarding patient information, while carrying out assigned patient care, receptionist and secretarial duties.
1. Assists in providing a quality patient experience which may include but is not limited to the following:
a. Receives, greets and directs patients and visitors professionally.
b. Answers telephone and call bell promptly and in accordance with behavioral expectations.
2. Provides quality patient care which may include but is not limited to the following:
a. Measures vital signs including temperature, pulse, respirations, blood pressure, etc.
b. Provides personal care such as bathing, mouth care, skin care, hair care, nail care, bed making, and dressing/undressing.
c. Assists with nutritional needs of patients by performing tasks such as preparing patients for meal time, and feeding patients.
d. Assists patients with elimination needs through tasks such as use of bedpan/urinal, bowel/bladder training, collection of specimens, perineal/catheter care.
e. Measures height and weight.
f. Measures and records intake and output.
3. Completes all required documentation accurately and thoroughly according to unit specific standards.
a. May obtain, verify or update patient information as required.
b. Ensures files, documents, schedules, records and logs are current and organized.
4. Promotes effective communication between patients, teammates, providers, and visitors.
a. Promptly reports abnormal vital signs and changes in the patient’s condition to the primary nurse or charge nurse.
b. Communicates pertinent patient information to other teammates during handoff report or sooner if needed.
c. Communicates patient or family questions or concerns in a timely manner.
d. May schedule appointments for tests, follow up visits, etc. as directed.
e. May collaborate with office staff and other external entities when needed.
5. Ensures teamwork by demonstrating cooperative, constructive, and problem-solving interactions.
a. Accepts delegated tasks and assignments that are within their scope of practice.
b. Seeks help when needed and provides help to others when available.
c. Performs unit specific tasks to support efficient and high-quality operations within the unit or department.
d. Collaborates with other units such as environmental services, transport, facilities, laboratory services, dining, etc., as needed.
6. Ensures a safe, clean, and orderly environment for self, patients, and teammates.
a. Utilizes proper body mechanics when turning/repositioning; transferring; assisting with ambulation; range of motion exercises; and using lifts beds, stretchers, and wheelchairs.
b. Ensures patient safety through utilizing items such as side rails, call bells, and mitts/restraints.
c. Follows proper infection control techniques which include items such as handwashing, isolation techniques, and standard precautions.
d. Keeps work areas clean, organized and neat.
7. Responds appropriately and promptly in emergency situations.
a. Recognizes signs and symptoms of distress.
b. Promptly notifies appropriate teammates to ensure prompt response of resources needed.
c. Obtains needed supplies/equipment in a timely manner.
d. Participates in CPR or other needed emergency care within their scope of practice.
8. Provides assistance and customer service to patients visitors, providers and teammates.
a. Strives to develop rapport and trust with patients and visitors.
b. Adheres to behavior expectations and utilizes Carolina Care techniques.
c. Provides blameless apology and works toward resolution of patient/visitor concerns.
9. Procures supplies and equipment in accordance with departmental needs.
• Completion of state approved Level 1 Nurse Aide training and competency evaluation program or its equivalent.
• High School graduate or equivalent.
• Current listing on the North Carolina Nurse Aide I registry.
• Certification in Basic Cardiac Life Support.
At least one year in a health care role preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Ability to provide excellent patient and customer service to all patients and their visitors as well as to internal and external teammates.
• Effective interpersonal skills to collaborate with teammates and relate to patients with varying degrees of illness.
• Attention to detail. Ability to set priorities and organize many functions at the same time for an entire unit.
• Flexibility and calmness required in order to perform a variety of functions in a setting which may be stressful or change unexpectedly due to a patient's condition.
• Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
• Ability to speak, read, write, and communicate effectively.
• Able to learn new software rapidly. Knowledge of Epic or EMR is helpful.
• Familiarity with basic medical terminology.
Valid NC Driver’s License: No
If driving a Wayne UNC Vehicle, must be 21 years old and MVR must be approved by Risk Management.
Legal Employer: Wayne Health
Entity: Wayne UNC Health Care
Organization Unit: 7th Floor
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 36.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: WAYNE MED
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.
Learn further E-Verify details in E-Verify (English) or E-Verify (Spanish).
UNC Health supports your right to work. View the Right of Work Statement (English) or Right of Work Statement (Spanish).
View the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (English) or the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (Spanish)posters.
View the PAY TRANSPARENCY (English) or the PAY TRANSPARENCY (Spanish)Nondiscrimination provision posters.
View the Federal Workplace poster. View our EEO/AA Policy Statement.