Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Job ID: 74066
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Per Diem
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Histology Technician performs a variety of medical tissue testing and administrative tasks in support of clinical activities. Work involves preparation of tissue samples, which enable pathologists to determine the cause of death, cause and degree of disease of patient and the course of treatment. HT/HTL Certification required.
Hours: Per Diem/Early morning and weekend hours available.
1. Assists with instruction of Clinical Laboratory Science students, Pathology residents, and new employees. Serves as a technical resource.
2. Enters testing information into computerized database.
3. Investigates and resolves problems with equipment, patient results, specimens and/or workflow.
4. May participate on teams or individually perform special projects/assignments.
5. Prepares tissue slides by processing, embedding, sectioning, examining, and staining tissues received from surgical pathology, autopsy, hematology, cytology and research areas.
6. Reports results of testing to healthcare providers. Consults and confers with healthcare providers regarding test results.
● Associates degree in biological, chemical, or related science (with completion CLIA required courses) or NAACLS accredited histotechnician program
● HT(ASCP) certified or certification eligible by the ASCP Board of Certification (BOC) within one year of hire date.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● If an Associate's degree, one (1) year of relevant experience.
● If completion of NAACLS accredited histotechnician program, no years of experience are required.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Surgical Pathology
Work Type: Per Diem
Standard Hours Per Week: 10.00
Work Schedule: Variable
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
Salary Range: $22.45 - $28.06 per hour (minimum to midpoint)
Pay offers are determined by experience and internal equity.
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email [email protected] if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.