Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Job ID: 74182
Location: Goldsboro, NC
Facility/Division: Wayne UNC Health Care
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Director, Operative Services, is primarily responsible for the management of clinical nursing practice and patient care of the Operating Room and oversight of the Central Sterile Team.
1. Directs the daily and strategic operation of the operating room and sterile processing to meet hospital, surgeon, department and patient care needs.
2. Oversees the daily activities of an efficient, coordinated, competent, compassionate and customer focused surgical care team. Serves as a subject matter expert or uses other subject matter experts to provide safe patient care.
3. Ensures work assignments and resources are efficiently utilized and distributed. Responsible for the coordination of the staffing and scheduling of the department to meet the needs of the hospital.
4. Collaborates with providers, leaders and teammates hospital-wide to develop, implement and evaluate care processes and procedures pertinent to the patient populations served.
5. Continuously monitors service operations and initiates changes as required. Evaluates, recommends, develops, and implements processes to improve patient flow, standards of quality and patient satisfaction.
6. Coordinates requirements for ongoing and new patient care programs, consistent with available resources.
7. Ensures superior customer service by providing senior level guidance and support in development and management of customer, teammate and physician relationships within Perioperative Services.
8. Ensures compliance with all regulatory agencies and accrediting bodies. Keeps departmental policies and procedures updated and in compliance with guidelines established by national organizations including Joint Commission, CMS, state hospital licensure regulations, etc.
9. Monitors and manages equipment in the Operating Room and Central Sterile to ensure “state of the art” technology and that equipment is maintained in good condition. Maintains service contracts for equipment.
10. In partnership with Human Resources and the Administrative Director, makes or approves recommendations on hires, transfers, promotions, salary changes, corrective actions, terminations, and similar actions. Resolves grievances and other human resource issues in a fair, timely and consistent manner, also in partnership with HR. Directs the completion of performance reviews.
11. Develops and submits budgetary requests on or before stated deadlines. Implements strategies to increase revenue/decrease costs and cost-effectively manage personnel, supply and equipment resources. Makes necessary adjustments to ensure goals are achieved and/or meet budget projections. Monitors and analyzes budgetary trends. Recognizes opportunities for increases in productivity, cost savings, and revenue generation.
12. Collaborates with Director, Surgical Services to complete long-term plans, annual budgets, and capital expenditure plans. Monitors fiscal variances and develops corrective action plans when needed.
13. Leads in change efforts for improvement in work quality. Monitors quality of work product for work unit/sector. Participates in formation of strategic goals at the departmental level.
14. Encourages teammate participation in educational programs relative to their practice specialty.
15. Serves as a resource and role model for teammates.
16. Keeps current in trends and developments in perioperative services through professional organization memberships and other tools. Shares information proactively with teammates.
17. Ensures a structured departmental orientation program to meet the needs of new teammates.
18. Collaborates with other departments to develop and implement intradepartmental teaching programs to integrate Surgical Services with Patient Care Services.
19. Is available and flexible to cover area and field calls for a 24 x 7 department.
20. Keeps appropriate leaders updated regarding any issues, concerns or problems.
21. Actively leads or participates in teammate meetings and on committees.
22. Leads and/or participates in performance and quality improvement initiatives.
23. Actively participates in the development of and implementation of care and performance standards to ensure that patient care needs and regulatory requirements are met or exceeded. Reviews and analyzes metrics and results. Collaborates extensively with surgical and hospital teammates to improve or exceed performance metrics.
24. Responds appropriately to emergency and code situations. Remains calm and works effectively in stressful situations.
25. Presents and promotes a professional demeanor at all times, exhibits high standards of customer service, supports responsibility, pride, and teamwork, remains calm under pressure, and offers reasonable solutions for problems.
26. Demonstrates appropriate interaction with and provides recommended care and services to all patients. Ensures the delivery of age appropriate, culturally sensitive and ethical care for patients.
27. Applies knowledge of principles of standard precautions. Routinely uses PPE to avoid risk of exposure to self and others.
28. Demonstrates corporate citizenship by participating in activities external to assigned work unit/departments.
BSN required, MS degree preferred.
Registered Nurse with current licensure in North Carolina required;
BLS and ACLS certification required;
CNOR certification preferred
Demonstrated leadership experience in Perioperative Nursing normally acquired through a minimum of 3 years relative work experience. Current clinical competence in operative room nursing.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Good problem solving, critical thinking and conflict management skills.
• Leadership qualities, e.g., maturity, job knowledge, professionalism, communication skills, etc. to lead, guide and motivate others.
• Good customer service, relationship building and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to read, write and communicate effectively in English.
• Proficient with MS Office and able to learn new software rapidly.
Valid NC Driver’s License: No
If driving a Wayne UNC Vehicle, must be 21 years old and MVR must be approved by Risk Management.
Legal Employer: Wayne Health
Entity: Wayne UNC Health Care
Organization Unit: Operating Room
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: WAYNE MED
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.