Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Job ID: 87507
Location: Goldsboro, NC
Facility/Division: Wayne UNC Health Care
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Executive Director, Patient Care Services reports to the Senior Vice President, Chief Nursing Officer and has responsibility for the organization and coordination of all UNC Health Wayne nursing operations and services. This position administers multiple programs or organizational areas at the hospital and has responsibility for planning, organizing, staffing, budgeting, directing, and controlling the accomplishment of short-term and long-term nursing service objectives.
1. Serves as a senior nursing leader to UNC Health Wayne and represents the hospital in planning and initiatives. Develops and fosters effective collaboration across patient care services clinical departments and other affiliated services to ensure integrated approach to providing clinical care and fulfilling clinical goals and objectives. Develops and implements goals, objectives, policies and procedures that align with the hospital’s mission and vision statement. Demonstrates leadership skills consistent to the organization's core values and nursing mission, vision and philosophy. Sets direction that is consistent with the organization's strategic plan, system priorities, and overall healthcare trends.
2. Directs personnel functions, including recruiting, hiring and retention of the nursing staff, and handling disciplinary actions. Provide administrative direction to management staff within areas of responsibility including supporting plan development, priority-setting, decision-making, and professional development. Oversee all facets of staff management for reporting and ensure that all applicable policies and procedures are effectively managed. Monitors clinical performance improvement outcomes and guides staff and managers to use strategies to ensure quality and patient satisfaction. Guides leadership team to performance improvement program, including the management of the personnel and performance improvement initiatives and strategies. Creates an environment that supports the advancement of professional nursing and develops a robust workforce to ensure the ability of the hospital to meet future needs for professional staff.
3. Provides guidance to staff and acts as resource to colleagues. Works with Sr VP, CNO to analyze budgetary trends and nurse leaders in developing strategies for budget variances. Implements strategies to increase revenue and decrease costs and effectively manage personnel. Makes necessary adjustments to ensure goals are achieved and/or meets budget projections.
4. Collaborates extensively with the CNO to develop, implement and monitor quality patient outcome metrics. Works with the leadership team to ensure consistent patient outcomes in all settings. Provides quality service that meet the regulatory and accreditation requirements and ensures that services are delivered safely and efficaciously.
5. Participates in the creation and implementation of a visionary strategic agenda for nursing which links clinical and education initiatives that is tied to UNC Health Wayne’s strategic plan. Partners with key stakeholders across the organization to create short- and long-term strategies that will positively impact quality, safety, and the patient experience. Establishes systems to ensure appropriate levels of staff and to manage budgets effectively.
6. Aligns work goals with organizational strategic direction and guides directors and staff in their goals. Leads formation of strategic goals for the department. Utilizes administrative, clinical and financial systems for data to facilitate decision-making. Leads and supports change efforts for improvement. Role models behaviors for nursing leaders and staff that promote the goals of the division of nursing and the organization; maintains effective working relationships with peers, medical staff, and direct reports. Arrives at decisions through a process of thorough analysis and thoughtfulness; makes decisions in a timely manner.
7. Maintains accountability for staff competencies and performance. Creates an environment conducive to staff development in both clinical and management expertise. Provides staff with performance feedback regularly and mentors staff in the development of professional growth opportunities and goals. Conducts regular staff meetings to facilitate communication of pertinent information and provides opportunities for feedback from managers and staff. Recognizes and rewards staff for performance and celebrates successes. Encourages staff and managers to identify opportunities for improvement. Implements strategies to improve employee satisfaction inclusive of strategies to involve employees in decision-making. Establish systems to ensure appropriate levels of staff and manage budgets effectively. Prepares and oversees business reports, including annual budgets.
8. Maintain compliance with all relevant legislative and regulatory rules and requirements established by state and federal agencies as well as those of voluntary accrediting bodies to ensure continued compliance.
BSN required; other related higher nursing degrees or degrees in healthcare administration preferred.
Licensed as a Registered Nurse in the State of North Carolina.
Prior experience as a nursing executive in administration preferred.
Ten years of progressive nursing management experience is required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Proven nursing leadership skills and nursing care knowledge gained from progressively responsible roles in a hospital setting.
• Emotional stability to manage emergency or crisis situations when necessary.
• Ability to read, write and communicate effectively in English.
• Proficient with MS Office and able to learn new software rapidly.
Valid NC Driver’s License: No
If driving a Wayne UNC Vehicle, must be 21 years old and MVR must be approved by Risk Management.
Legal Employer: Wayne Health
Entity: Wayne UNC Health Care
Organization Unit: Patient Service Admin.
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: WAYNE MED
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.