Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Job ID: 89158
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Oncology Intake Specialist coordinates and oversees complex scheduling, template management, referrals, project and operation support, multidisciplinary tumor board conferences and/or team meetings, assists with development of departmental and programmatic policies, and provides expert professional assistance to providers, nursing, clinics, and management staff.
1. Internal Referral Management- Receive referrals (fax, phone, Epic, email, work queue) and responsible for verification/modification of patients’ demographic data, address, phone numbers and insurance. Review medical records, identify reason for referral, and determine appropriate scheduling paradigm. Schedule the new patient consultation with provider(s) and/or scan/tests as necessary. Communicate and coordinate with the multidisciplinary team as necessary: discuss urgent cases and new referral with providers as appropriate. Prioritization and assignment of new patient referrals/appointments. Review/explain to the patient and/or family the services included with the initial consultation including cost of pathology and radiology reads accordingly. Provide and review information within the new patient packets including appointment and procedures that apply to patient care, driving instructions, parking, etc. Serve as a point person for patient and/or family concerns regarding new appointment details. Schedule same day urgent appointments or tests as needed as directed by provider within the confines of the schedule. Gather accurate information as outlined with the disease program algorithms as applicable for established and newly diagnosed oncology patients or transplant referrals. Medical Records Collection includes the following: Operative notes, scans, progress notes, labs, pathology reports and slides, imaging reports, radiology disks, etc. Schedule and coordinate complex multidisciplinary oncology consultations based on disease specific or transplant scheduling algorithms. Multidisciplinary care includes consultation with the following services: Medical oncology, radiation oncology, surgical oncology, genetics, dentistry, nuclear medicine, dermatology, reconstructive surgery, pathology, radiology, interventional radiologists, epidemiologists, prosthetic specialists, nutritionists, speech and swallowing specialists, navigation, social workers, case manager, financial counselling, pharmacy, thoracic surgery, transplant surgery, comprehensive Cancer Support Program, Infectious Disease, Urological services, etc.
2. External Referral Management- Cultivate a working knowledge of appropriate referral sources. Develop, support, and maintain existing relationships with a wide range of community resources, referral sources and other professional organizations. Create new medical record in Epic. Ensures patients have necessary authorization for treatment or facilitate referral to Transplant Financial Coordinator for review. Timely facilitation of external referrals including scheduling, sending necessary clinic information to receiving facility, and follow-up with patient upon completion of referral.
3. Tumor Board and Program Meetings- Oversee multidisciplinary tumor board conference and/or Team Meetings as assigned: including determining administrative needs, facilitating meeting arrangements, development and distribution of tumor board list to appropriate participants. Facilitate conference request: secure venue, coordinate meeting logistics weekly prior to conference, and attend. Coordinate and attend assigned program monthly meetings. Maintain tumor board distribution list - maintains the integrity and accuracy of the new patient databases. Attend and participate in programmatic meetings focused on coordination and delivery of care.
4. Customer Service- Skilled at quickly building rapport with callers and often serve as the first point of contact for newly diagnosed cancer patients or transplant candidates. Have an in depth knowledge of office/clinic procedures and practices associated with their assigned specialty. Screen callers and provide information and guidance based on knowledge of applicable policies and procedures. Triage and respond to calls based on established protocols and standards. Resolve problems or complaints within departmental guidelines.
5. Quality Improvement- Engages in daily continuous quality improvement by suggesting, participating in and/or implementing improvements. Serves on improvement projects as requested. Participates in work unit projects as assigned, including but not limited to auditing, quality initiatives, and staff training/development. May represent work unit on inter-team, or inter-departmental committees as assigned.
6. Administrative Duties- Answers incoming calls for department: handle or triage appropriately. Verification of MD licensure/UPIN/NPI number. Adhere to client's rights and confidentiality in accordance with HIPAA. Scan intake information and medical records into the electronic record (EPIC). Work queue management: schedule internal and external new patient consultations. Develops and maintains working relationships with various disciplines and departments across the healthcare system or to external customers. Obtain outside pathology slides or radiographic studies prior to the appointment and coordinate review by UNC pathology or radiology. Import radiographic images via Nuance platform. Receive and distribute faxes appropriately. Respond to various requests via Epic and email. Mail prescription and/or other necessary forms as requested. Coordinate mailings of certified letters (no show, non-compliance to treatment recommendation, per request from providers). Manage and monitor reschedule (bump) work list confirming all patients are rescheduled appropriately. Transcribe orders as indicated by program algorithms or as directed by the provider. Assist in development of documents: prepares and distributes mailed and electronic correspondence in a professional and effective manner. Request and receive medical records, pathology, and imaging for established patients to promote continuity of care. Extracts and compiles data from written sources, EMR, individuals, and/or databases and provides interpretation as requested by Supervisor, Program Director, Division/Program Chief, or Medical Director. Prepare complex databases, reports, charts, graphs, spreadsheets at designated intervals as requested. Compose formal correspondence and documents for internal or external circulation per request. Determines administrative needs and facilitate arrangements for conferences, meetings, seminars or other related activities. Accurately documents activities in Epic and in accordance with department requirements and protocols of the UNCHCS. Ascertain completeness and accuracy of required Intake paperwork, referrals, and scan documents appropriately per departmental policy into EMR. Troubleshoot application issues; corrects problems locally, when possible, and/or works directly with vendor in seeking problem resolution. Maintain and update information systems (EMR, hard copy files, automated files) according to established rules and regulations. Distribute files from information systems in accordance with departmental guidelines, policies, procedures and HIPAA.
● High School diploma or GED.
● None Required
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Six (6) years of administrative support experience.
● If Associate's degree, three (3) years of administrative support experience.
● If Bachelor's degree, one (1) years of administrative support experience.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Oncology New Patient Access
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email [email protected] if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.