Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Job ID: 86294
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: Shared Services
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
This position is responsible for processing all release of information requests in a timely and efficient manner ensuring accuracy and providing customers with the highest quality product and customer service. Associate must at all times safeguard and protect the patients right to privacy by ensuring that only authorized individuals have access to the patient’s medical information and that all releases of information are in compliance with the request, authorization, company policy and HIPAA regulations. Associates will also be responsible for Analyzing patient information to ensure compliance with standards established by Federal/State & Joint Commission & CMS regulations and will monitor the chart completion activities of all physician including the limitation of Admitting and Scheduling Procedures. They will work cooperatively with all HIM leadership, staff, physicians and internal and external customers to ensure goals are met and quality targets are reached and maintained.
1. Provides customer service support and processes correspondence and requests for patient information in accordance with organizational policies, HIPAA, State and Federal regulations, and ensures the validity of dates and content of the requests in a timely manner.
2. Prioritize release of information requests, retrieves medical records from active and inactive and interdepartmental locations, electronically tracks and delivers records in accordance with established procedures.
3. Processes requests, assures confidentially is maintained, handles STAT requests, sends action letters timely, ensures turnaround times are between 3 and 5 days, enters requests, and requests charts in a timely manner.
4. Performs self-quality checks on all work to assure accuracy of the release and that confidentiality is maintained.
5. Handles all requests and inquiries for patient health information whether received via mail, fax, phone or in-person.
6. Ensures the requesting party has a legal right to request a patient’s medical information
7. Provide excellent customer service by being attentive and respectful; insures understanding of customer request and follows-through as promised; and being proactive in identifying client concerns, or problems. Helps resolve customer service matters in a polite manner.
8. Coordinates activities with outside vendor copier service to ensure medical records are available by the deposition date. Analyzes and monitors record completion activities of suspended physicians and generates automated incomplete record notices to physicians. Assists physicians in record completion
9. Analyzes patient information to ensure compliance with standards established by Federal/State & Joint Commission & CMS regulations. Evaluates scanned images for proper indexing, patient verification, and legibility according to department standards. Identifies scanning quality and indexing errors, with immediate correction through rescanning of the batch and/or image.
10. Works closely with departmental leaders to promptly research and resolve issues reported by physicians, other departments, and customers.
● High school diploma or general education degree (GED)
● No licensure or certification required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Requires one (1) year of general medical record experience
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: Shared Services
Organization Unit: HIM Operations
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This position is employed by NC Health (Rex Healthcare, Inc., d/b/a NC Health), a private, fully-owned subsidiary of UNC Health Care System, in a department that provides shared services to operations across UNC Health Care; except that, if you are currently a UNCHCS State employee already working in a designated shared services department, you may remain a UNCHCS State employee if selected for this job.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email [email protected] if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.