Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Job ID: 88767
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: Shared Services
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The System Supervisor of Clinical Documentation Integrity (CDI) will be responsible for selecting, motivating, evaluating, counseling, and disciplining Clinical Documentation Specialists and Clinical Documentation Specialist Seniors. This position will report to the Health Care System Manager of Clinical Documentation Integrity. The System Supervisor of CDI is responsible for supervising Clinical Documentation Specialists, Clinical Documentation Specialist Seniors, and CDI functions to meet the overall needs of the UNC Health Care System Clinical Documentation Integrity Program, while ensuring compliance with state/federal requirements, and CMS guidelines. Additionally, the System Supervisor of CDI is responsible for ensuring CDI processes are conducted efficiently and in a high quality manner to meet service level agreement (SLA) expectations and regulatory standards for CDI.
100% remote This is a remote position eligible for hire from: Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.
Description of Job Responsibilities:
1. Lead and supervise Clinical Documentation Specialists, Clinical Documentation Specialist Seniors, and CDI activities for the UNC Health Care System (HCS). Assign duties and tasks to CDI staff. Monitor workload and make appropriate adjustments to ensure adequate staffing. Maintain time and attendance information. Identify measures for evaluating performance objectives. Monitor and maintain staff productivity and quality standards. Coach for performance and reward and recognize accomplishments.
2. Work collaboratively with HCS Manager of CDI, HCS Manager of Inpatient Coding, HCS Supervisors of Inpatient Coding, and key physician leaders to reach the goals and objectives of the CDI Program. Actively participate and support the CDI governance structure responsible for achieving clinical and operational excellence, and expected deliverables in relation to the CDI Program. Participate in quarterly CDI DRG Physician Advisor meetings.
3. Coordinate modifications to clinical documentation to ensure accurate depiction of the level of clinical services and patient severity to support appropriate reimbursement and capturing of clinical severity for the level of service rendered to all patients. Supervise and coordinate concurrent inpatient reviews for Patient Safety Indicators (PSI’s) and other quality indicators, SOI/ROM, and DRG Management and outpatient reviews for the severity of illness, hierarchical condition categories, and complexity of care, including rounding and meeting with providers on optimal clinical documentation.
4. Identify process improvement opportunities for CDI staff to ensure quality outcomes. Develop, implement, disseminate, and adhere to policy and procedures related to CDI activities. Participate in organizational initiatives relative to CDI technology to improve accuracy and compliance. Serve as subject matter expert on accurate and appropriate coding and documentation standards, guidelines, and regulatory requirements.
5. Serve on local and/or system committees, councils, focus groups, and work teams associated with advancing the revenue cycle strategy of the health care system upon request. Such participation may require travel, including Job Profile This job profile is intended to provide a representation of responsibilities required. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this profile. overnight travel to affiliate locations. Participate in revenue cycle leadership touchpoint interactions and meetings with affiliate leadership groups upon request of System Manager.
Associate's degree in Health Information Management, Nursing, or related field. Successful completion of the Documentation Specialist Proficiency Test.
Must have one of the following: - AHIMA (American Health Information Management Association) certification - AAPC (American Academy of Professional Coders) certification - AAMA (American Association of Medical Assistants) certification - RN (Registered Nurse) license - LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) license - Advance Practice Provider (NP or PA) license- Medical Doctor (MD) license
Professional Experience Requirements: Requires 2 years of CDI experience and three (3) years of relevant supervisory, lead or senior level experience. Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Requirements: Previous CDI experience required. Strong knowledge of ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS coding, CPT and HCPCS coding, MS DRG, and CDI documentation processes with excellent analytical and data mining skills. Ability to effectively supervise projects, plan and implement programs, and evaluate outcomes. Ability to effectively supervise staff. Must possess strong communication skills, both written and verbal. Exhibit effective organizational skills, time management, management of multiple priorities, as well as, strong presentation skills. Ability to interpret federal and state regulations as they relate to coding and compliance.
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: Shared Services
Organization Unit: HIM CDI
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
This position is employed by NC Health (Rex Healthcare, Inc., d/b/a NC Health), a private, fully-owned subsidiary of UNC Health Care System, in a department that provides shared services to operations across UNC Health Care; except that, if you are currently a UNCHCS State employee already working in a designated shared services department, you may remain a UNCHCS State employee if selected for this job.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email [email protected] if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.