Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Job ID: 92368
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Under the direction of the Respiratory Therapy management and according to UNCH and departmental policies and procedures, the RT Clinical Specialist is responsible for all aspects of patient care within their designated service line or intensive care unit. The Clinical Specialist is also responsible for collaborating with RNs, physicians, and other members of the health care team to coordinate care for these very complex patients.
This position is for the Cardiothoracic Intensive Care Unit
1. Planning and Managing Care - According to UNCMC and department standards, and utilizing unique knowledge regarding the care of patients with critical illnesses, independently uses and documents effective planning, deliverance and evaluation of goal focused, individualized safe age and culture-specific care for all patients. Works in conjunction with other caregivers and providers to ensure that the patients under the care of the Clinical Specialists has technologically advanced optimum care for relief of their respiratory compromise, assuring that patients have adequate oxygenation and ventilation and is able to maintain acid base balance and hemodynamic stability within physician ordered parameters. Participates in patient rounds each day on the intensive care units or with the clinical team within the adult or pediatric pulmonary division teams.
2. Continuum of Care Planning - Consistently role models the coordination of comprehensive, age and culture specific continuum of care planning for all patients and families. Using available internal resources and systems, consults with healthcare team providing complete and appropriate information for complex continuum of care planning as it relates to the patient population being served.
3. Patient and Family Education – Independently develops, evaluates and revises individualized, age and culture-specific teaching plans for all patients and families. Provides extensive patient/family education for patients ready for discharge, clinic patients, and patients ready to go home with tracheostomies and ventilators. Develops care plans to keep them free of infections and re-admissions.
4. Problem Solving - Identifies problems and utilizes problem solving skills to participate in finding solutions and then follows through to implement solutions. Role models the use of the problem solving process. Is a change champion. Works closely with physicians to determine the best treatment plans for patients, weaning plans for mechanically ventilated patients, and to determine the best modes of ventilation to optimize critically ill patients on life support. Actively participates in department quality assurance programs and takes part in the re-education of caregivers when applicable.
5. Communication and Collaboration - Clearly and efficiently communicates significant information from one level or location of care and/or from one caregiver to another. Independently collaborates with multidisciplinary team members. Role models effective communication/collaboration and directly manages conflict resolution.
6. Continuous Learning - Assumes responsibility for continuous learning, engaging in educational activities annually or pursuing advanced academic education. Develops and achieves personal and professional goals. Is proactively involved in quality improvement by the identification of issues, planning and evaluation of quality improvement projects. Maintains knowledge of all current applicable research and information published in peer reviewed journals. Commitment and initiative to maintaining skills and expertise to care for critically ill patients on life support equipment. Provides supervision, guidance, training and direction to respiratory care students. Provides orientation to new hires. Is the clinical resource for nurses, physicians and other respiratory therapists working in the Clinical Specialists’ areas of responsibility. Provides in-service education to nurses, physicians and colleagues.
● Graduation from an accredited Respiratory Therapy program.
● If hired after August 1, 2016, a Bachelor’s degree in Respiratory Therapy or related field is required.
● Licensed as a Respiratory Care Practitioner by the North Carolina Respiratory Care Board and registry eligible by the National Board of Respiratory Care.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Two (2) years of experience as a Registered Respiratory Therapist in an intensive care setting.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Advanced knowledge of principles and techniques of mechanical ventilation and care of the patient with complex respiratory diseases or compromise.
● Able to work in a collaborative and multidisciplinary environment.
● Interpersonal communication skills necessary to work with hospital employees, physicians, patients, family members and community professionals.
● Must possess exceptional critical thinking skills and deal with extreme pressure and stress.
● Ability to rotate shifts and/or work flexible hours to meet patient care needs.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Respiratory Therapy
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Variable
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
Salary per hour: $27.89 - $34.86 (minimum - midpoint)
Pay offers are determined by experience and internal equity
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email [email protected] if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.