Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Job ID: 91054
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The diener/ morgue attendant prepares bodies, specimens of human organs and morgue room to assist pathologists in postmortem examinations.
Duties may include tissue/organ harvests for research, assistance in "rapid" autopsies for research, preparation of organs for teaching, and other anatomic/clinical pathology duties as needed.
Hours: 8:00-16:30 Monday - Friday
1. Receives and releases bodies in the morgue. On occasion, may need to assist in transport of a deceased individual from a hospital floor to the Morgue. Prepares bodies for release. Places body in compartment tray of refrigerator or on autopsy table, using portable hoist and stretcher.
2. Confirms and records patient identifying information in morgue log book when accepting or releasing bodies. Confirms patient identity on body prior to beginning an autopsy. Photographs decedent prior to Autopsy for identification purposes or as directed by the pathologist or Pathologist Assistant (PA).
3. Lays out surgical instruments and laboratory supplies for postmortem examinations. Prepares specimen containers for preservation/storage of dissected specimens. Assists in the general Autopsy procedure including evacuation of body fluids, removal of medical devices, opening of body and removal of organs, washing and wrapping of body. May photograph specimens during the autopsy. Responsible for Morgue clean up following Autopsy. Assist pathologists in specimen preparation for weekly conferences.
4. Accessioning of new autopsy cases. Responsible for inventory/supplies and disposal of pathology specimens. Administrative duties such as answering the phone, coordinating body release with funeral homes, ordering supplies, organizing files. Transport of specimens/slides to other areas in the hospital as needed. May assist with histology and decedent care.
5. Duties may include tissue/organ harvests for research, assistance in "rapid" autopsies for research, preparation of organs for teaching, and other anatomic/clinical pathology duties as needed.
● High School diploma or GED
● No licensure or certification required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Two (2) years’ experience as a morgue attendant.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Must be organized, orderly and ability to maintain neat environment/work area; Excellent communications skills required.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Autopsy
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email [email protected] if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.