Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Job ID: 88635
Location: Goldsboro, NC
Facility/Division: Wayne UNC Health Care
Status: Part Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Coordinates and leads all clinical denial processes and clinical audit activities. Supervises and collaborates with teammates. Reviews all denial requests and leads the team in the strategy to appeal all clinical denials. Provides the clinical expertise to draft the first and second levels of an audit appeal. Works collaboratively with the Physician Advisors and subject matter experts for all audit and appeals work activities.
1. Provides leadership, clinical expertise and organization to the Denials Management Team.
2. Stays up to date and proactive with all ongoing information, rules and regulations, Medicare and other payor regulations.
3. Reviews all denials and is key point person for assigning team review. i.e. denials to Coding Supervisor.
4. Reviews and documents findings on all medical necessity and status denials.
5. Works closely with Patient Financial Services for issues related to reimbursement, denials, status, etc.
6. Evaluates clinical denials for validity and probability to overturn, proactively gathers required clinical documentation and formulates appropriate appeals. Coordinates the denial team in order to establish appeals plan based on the type of denial.
7. Conducts case studies for those complex denials in order to plan appeal strategies and to educate peers.
8. Conducts pertinent discussions with auditors and follows appropriate appeals process within established timeframes
9. Reviews and responds weekly to status issue queries from coders, Quality and other entities.
10. Responsible for summary reports of Wayne UNC Health Care denials. Presents denials summary to IM/UR committee at least quarterly and as needed.
Graduate of an accredited program for professional nursing.
Bachelor's degree in Nursing preferred.
Current North Carolina nursing licensure.
• Minimum 3-5 years of applied clinical experience as a Registered Nurse required.
• 2 years utilization review, care management, or compliance experience preferred.
• Minimum 1 year clinical denials management preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Solid knowledge and understanding of provider reimbursement methodologies, medical terminology, and hospital and physician billing.
• Knowledge of government and non-government clinical denial and appeal procedures.
• Ability to investigate, analyze and apply billing, medical and reimbursement guidelines.
• Coding experience helpful.
• Ability to understand and analyze patient bills and medical records. Ability to lead, guide and motivate others.
• Ability to read, write and communicate effectively in English.
• Proficient with MS Office and able to learn new software rapidly. Experience with EMR (Epic) software desired.
Valid NC Driver’s License: No
If driving a Wayne UNC Vehicle, must be 21 years old and MVR must be approved by Risk Management.
Legal Employer: Wayne Health
Entity: Wayne UNC Health Care
Organization Unit: Patient Accounts
Work Type: Part Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 20.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: WAYNE MED
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.