Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Job ID: 91196
Location: Butner, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Recreational Therapist needed for UNC Health Youth Behavioral Health (YBH), in Butner, North Carolina.
Youth Behavioral Health Hospital (YBH) is a 56-bed, 24-hour, locked psychiatric facility located in Butner, North Carolina. There will be four units dedicated to serving children and adolescent with mental health diagnoses, dual diagnoses, substance misuse and complex behaviors. YBH philosophy is grounded in a milieu-based, trauma-informed and therapeutic setting. This facility aims to serve patients with a complex history, including aggression and psychosis. Safety is a key component of the care provided as well as introduction of positive coping skills, healthy living and positive leisure activities. Therapy services will work among a large interdisciplinary team including Psychiatrists, Psychologists, Social Workers, and Nursing Services.
We are seeking a Recreational Therapist with child and adolescent mental health experience who is dynamic, independent, and team-oriented. The Recreational Therapist shall be responsible for providing a full range of services including assessment, providing therapeutic interventions and discharge planning. The Recreational Therapist will participate in a variety of professional growth activities and mentorship intended to develop and improve patient care delivery and departmental performance. Additionally, the Recreational Therapist will be encouraged to serve as a clinical educator for practicum and intern recreational therapy students.
The Recreational Therapist shall also demonstrate accountability for and contribution to program development, quality improvement, problem solving, and productivity enhancement in a flexible team environment.
The selected candidate will work Monday - Friday with occasional weekend and holiday coverage.
Seeking individual with experience in developmental disabilities (IDD), autism, and dual diagnosis. Prefer additional training and/or certifications in evidence-based & best practices with these populations (i.e. DIR). Experience in hospital based mental health therapy services. Experience with children and adolescent mental health with ages ranging from 5-17
1. Analyzes comprehensive data from the patient assessment/evaluation and plans, develops and documents an individualized treatment plan that identifies short and long term goals and interventions in substantial compliance with department policies and protocols, standards of regulatory agencies and professional standards of practice.
2. Develops and documents patients' discharge/transition plan in collaboration with the patient, family/significant others and treatment team, in substantial compliance with department policies and protocols, standards of regulatory agencies and professional standards of practice
3. Documents and reports patients' response to interventions, re-assesses and evaluates patients' progress towards goals, modifies treatment goals/plan as necessary, in substantial compliance with department policies and protocols, standards of regulatory agencies and professional standards of practice
4. Implements individualized patient treatment plans and plans, develops and facilitates interventions, in substantial compliance with department policies and protocols, standards of regulatory agencies and professional standards of practice, to restore, remediate or rehabilitate patients' functioning and increase patients' independence.
5. Leadership Demonstrates the function of a leader in the profession in the following manner Advocates for and facilitates necessary change, development for people, and initiatives. Exemplifies quality service provision. Manages professional practice through promoting and demonstrating accountability
6. Provides clinical education or supervision to staff, interns, clinical fellows and other disciplines, participates in competency assessment/enhancement activities and meets development goals in compliance with Hospitals and department policies and protocols
7. Quality Improvement and Resource Management Plans, develops, coordinates and evaluates specialized programs for specific clinical service areas and engages in evaluation/research and quality improvement activities for the clinical service team and department. Participates in the acquisition and maintenance of supplies, equipment and facility planning.
8. Responds to physicians' orders for patient assessment and treatment, individually assesses/evaluates patients to determine and document needs, interests and abilities in substantial compliance with department policies/protocols, standards of regulatory agencies and professional standards of practice
● Bachelor’s degree with a concentration in Therapeutic Recreation or Recreational Therapy, which includes an internship.
● Licensed as a Recreational Therapist by the North Carolina Board of Recreational Therapy Licensure (NCBRTL).
● Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS) by the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC)
Professional Experience Requirements:
● No prior experience required.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: UNCH YBH Recreational Therapy
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: Butner:NC:27509
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
Salary Range: $18.07 - $22.59 per hour (minimum to midpoint)
Pay offers are determined by experience and internal equity
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email [email protected] if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.