Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Select a UNC Health entity below to log-in and get started.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Current UNC Health Employees, learn about our Discovery Employee Referral Program! If you’re referring someone through our Discovery Employee Referral Program, please be sure to submit your referral before your referral applies.
Job ID: EME00407
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC MEDICAL CENTER
Ground RN needed for Adult Critical Care Ground Transport
This position will provide safe and timely transport of patients via ground mode while providing exceptional basic, advanced and critical care medical treatment. This is a highly visible position which requires outstanding customer service skills and autonomous care of patients at the advanced practice level independent of direct medical orders. It is essential the nurse be proficient in related skills and comfortable interfacing with pre-hospital providers, law enforcement, nurses, physicians, family members and others in a variety of environments.
Duties to include but not limited to:
- Monitors patient condition during transport to provide care using advanced assessment and treatment skills
- Monitors communication equipment and communicates with dispatch personnel, medical staff, family members and other stakeholders to ensure relevant information is collected and proper treatment is administered.
- Meticulous attention to detail in the ground safety of the crew and patient before, during and after ground transport.
- Participates in plan of care for patient(s) who are acutely ill and communicates assessments and plan of care in a professional manner with appropriate personnel.
- Documents patient's status, delivery of care and evaluation of the patient's response to care according to unit specific procedures and established protocols
-Contacts physician for guidance as needed and follows treatment protocols as described by UNC Air Care Medical Direction
- Operates various medical and mechanical equipment in the pre-hospital, hospital, and transport environment. Ensures medical equipment is functioning properly
- Restocks medical supplies and completes assigned daily base duties in a timely manner
- Demonstrates critical thinking, adaptability and problem solving in the fluid medical transport environment
- Works collaboratively with other team members and the management team on quality initiatives
- Participates in planned outreach marketing and education activities
- Provides feedback to management team related to performance of affiliated personnel such as Paramedics, EMTs, etc.
This position is 36 hours per week rotating shifts based in various locations of central NC. The working environment is on a ground ambulance with some time spent outdoors.
Requires graduation from a state-accredited school of professional nursing and one (1) year of nursing experience. If hired after January 6, 2014, must be enrolled in an accredited program within four years of employment, and obtain a Bachelor's degree with a major in Nursing or a Master's degree with a major in Nursing within seven years of employment date.
Requires licensure to practice as a Registered Nurse in the state of North Carolina and current Healthcare Provider or BLS provider Basic Life Support (BLS)certification.
1. A minimum of three (3) years emergency and / or critical care nursing experience
2. In addition to BLS prefers current certification in ACLS, PALS and Trauma
3. Prefers professional nursing certification
Successful candidate will need to have the ability to lift 150 pounds with assistance; carry 80 pounds a distance of 30 feet and push/pull over 200 pounds ( i.e. patients on beds, stretcher) for lateral transfer.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.