Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Select a UNC Health entity below to log-in and get started.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Current UNC Health Employees, learn about our Discovery Employee Referral Program! If you’re referring someone through our Discovery Employee Referral Program, please be sure to submit your referral before your referral applies.
Job ID: WOM001UU
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC MEDICAL CENTER
Lactation Services is seeking to hire a Full Time Clinical Nurse II Lactation Consultant. Requires current certification by International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners (IBCLE).
This is a day/night/weekend rotating, 36 hours/week position. As a State employee, this position offers State benefits including health insurance and a generous PTO package.
The Clinical RN II provides clinical assessment, care, support and education to breastfeeding mothers within both the inpatient and outpatient setting, and collaborates with nursing and medical staff regarding the care of the breastfeeding mother and baby.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
1. Assesses the adequacy of breastfeeding and provides interventions and education as necessary for correction and/or prevention of feeding problems for breastfeeding babies and mothers primarily in the Maternity Care Center, Intensive Care Nursery, and Pediatric units, and clinics, but not excluding patients in other units.
2. Collaborates with the infant’s or mother’s primary care provider and hospital or clinic staff as needed to implement feeding interventions to meet the infant’s and/or mother’s medical needs.
3. Provides post discharge support of breastfeeding for NC Women’s Hospital patients through telephone consultation, clinical visits, and consultation with the primary care provider of the mother or infant.
4. Assists mothers of infants who cannot breastfeed to establish and maintain a milk supply and store their milk appropriately.
5. Provides education and training regarding breastfeeding to patients, hospital staff and AHEC regional areas.
6. Supervises students working with breastfeeding mothers and babies and reviews the clinical care records of paraprofessionals making home visits to breastfeeding mothers.
Requires graduation from a state-accredited school of professional nursing and one year of nursing experience. Must be licensed to practice as a registered nurse in the State of North Carolina by the NC Board of Nursing. One (1) year of nursing experience required.
Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Provider certification is required. IBCLC is required.
If hired after January 6, 2014, must be enrolled within four years of employment, and obtain a Bachelor's degree with a major in Nursing or a Master's degree with a major in Nursing within seven years of employment date.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.