Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Select a UNC Health entity below to log-in and get started.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Current UNC Health Employees, learn about our Discovery Employee Referral Program! If you’re referring someone through our Discovery Employee Referral Program, please be sure to submit your referral before your referral applies.
Job ID: SEC00123
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC MEDICAL CENTER
UNC Medical Center
Multiple Shifts Available
Performs general security work in the protection of persons and property. Also is involved with enforcement of regulations of UNCHCS and assists the Hospitals Police Officers with enforcement of applicable federal, state and local laws.
1. Patrol: Submits daily activity logs/reports before the end of the shift unless approved otherwise by the supervisor. Is knowledgeable of the security sensitive areas identified in the Security Mg plan and patrol area policy. Escorts employees, patients and visitors to parking areas. Provides after-hours access to secured areas for authorized personnel. Collects inventories and secures patient property when cashier’s officer is not open. Patrols assigned area and properly documents/reports security or safety hazards. Locks/unlocks designated doors. Assures deceased bodies are entered and properly released from the morgue with proper ID. Escorts staff transporting financial deposits/pharmaceutical products. Transports patient commitment documents to the magistrate’s office. Interacts with personnel in patrol areas and challenges all suspicious persons encountered. Completes/documents the required number of patrols as specified by the Shift Lieutenant or Sergeant. Intervenes and redirects persons observed to be in violation of the UNC Health Care Tobacco-Free Workplace policy.
2. Communications: Communicates effectively via two-way radio, computer, email, telephone and via verbal communications within the Hospitals Police Department, as well as with other law enforcement agencies, Hospitals staff members, visitors and patients.
3. Investigations and Incident Report Writing: Enters incident reports into computer in a complete, concise and proper manner. Investigates and documents lost/stolen/damaged property. Takes custody of items found, secures them properly and attempts to return property to its rightful owner. Initiates risk assessments on D.O.C. inmates, patients and employees as required. Investigates/documents accidents and injury incidents involving visitors. Completes trespasses, patient intervention and use of force reports with complete narrative.
4. Traffic Control: Conducts parking surveys when requested or required. Enforces applicable parking regulations. Initiates towing of vehicles as required. Reports malfunction of citation writing equipment to the proper persons so as to assure they are repaired. Patrols areas of responsibility and writes citations for illegally parked or unauthorized vehicles in a “proactive” manner.
5. Emergency Response: Assists with mental health patient custody issues and also assists in both arranging transportation to other facilities as well as escorting patients to units within the Hospitals. Provides immediate response for calls for assistance in dealing with patient, visitor or employee behavior issues and provides backup for Hospitals police officers dealing with those situations. Responds to smoke, trouble or fire alarms as required. Participates as a functioning part of the Emergency Response Team to provide or prevent access to the involved area as required in emergency situations at the Hospitals. Assists Hospital Police Officers as required in the removal of unauthorized persons from Hospitals property. Maintains a working knowledge of emergency codes and Hospitals police response procedures. Responds appropriately and in a timely manner to any and all emergency situations as well as to activated security alarms.
6. Fixed Post Functions Emergency Department-Controls patient and visitor entry into the E.D. as appropriate. Operates metal screening system to prevent weapons or other contraband from being brought into the patient treatment areas. Maintains parking lot surveillance to assure safety and ensure parking availability for E.D. customers. Night Entrance- Controls the entrance of visitors and employees after hours at the Hospitals designated night entrance as well as screens for proper authorization and identification.
High School diploma or GED. Basic International Association for Healthcare Security and Safety (IAHSS) certification prior to completion of nine months of employment (the Probationary Period). Valid NC Driver's license. Must have worked for twelve months after graduation from high school or obtaining a GED.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.