Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Select a UNC Health entity below to log-in and get started.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Current UNC Health Employees, learn about our Discovery Employee Referral Program! If you’re referring someone through our Discovery Employee Referral Program, please be sure to submit your referral before your referral applies.
Job ID: OTH01POO
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC MEDICAL CENTER
LACTATION SERVICES is seeking to hire a Full Time Lactation Consultant.
Certification by International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners (IBCLE) is REQUIRED.
This is a full time, 36 hours/week, fully benefited position.
As a State employee, this position offers State benefits including health insurance and a generous PTO package.
Evening/Night/Weekend rotating shifts will be 7pm-7am, and/or 12pm-12am.
The Lactation Consultant provides clinical assessment, care, support and education to breastfeeding mothers within both the inpatient and outpatient setting, and collaborates with nursing and medical staff regarding the care of the breastfeeding mother and baby.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
1. Assesses the adequacy of breastfeeding and provides interventions and education as necessary for correction and/or prevention of feeding problems for breastfeeding babies and mothers.
2. Assists mothers of infants who cannot breastfeed to establish and maintain a milk supply and store their milk appropriately.
3. Collaborates with the infant's or mother's primary care provider and hospital or clinic staff as needed to implement feeding interventions to meet the infant's and/or mother's medical needs.
4. Provides education and training regarding breastfeeding to patients, hospital staff and regional areas.
5. Provides post discharge support of breastfeeding for patients through telephone consultation, clinical visits, and consultation with the primary care provider of the mother or infant.
Bachelor's degree in Nursing, Public Health, Education or related field required.
Certified Lactation Consultant by the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners (IBCLE) is REQUIRED.
Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification within one (1) month from date of hire is required.
If Bachelor's degree: Six (6) months of experience in breastfeeding and lactation support is required.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.