Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Select a UNC Health entity below to log-in and get started.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Current UNC Health Employees, learn about our Discovery Employee Referral Program! If you’re referring someone through our Discovery Employee Referral Program, please be sure to submit your referral before your referral applies.
Job ID: OTH01PLR
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC MEDICAL CENTER
Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) needed for Ground Transport
The primary function is the safe and timely transport of medical crew and patients. Work may involve routine transport or may be performed under stressful situations requiring quick transport
Job summary with duties included but not limited to the following.
- Communicates with crew and other emergency personnel over UHF and VHF radios, pagers, and cellular phones regarding location, patient status, and other relevant information. Utilizes the ground operator's communication book daily.
- Completes all preventative maintenance. Ensures adequate fuel in vehicles, performs daily checks of vehicles and maintains cleanliness of ambulances. Maintains familiarity with vehicle safety manuals.
- Completes logs, checklists and reports related to activities, vehicle status and maintenance. Ensures continuity of service by participating in shift change debriefings.
- Ensures equipment is in a state of mission readiness, Corrects or arranges for repair of any malfunctioning equipment.
- Maintains awareness of road conditions and entire response area, sharing knowledge of changing conditions with co-workers.
- May serve as lead worker or take on specialized equipment maintenance responsibilities.
- Participates in departmental meetings and programs, including Quality Improvement, Marketing and Outreach, and Safety.
- Transports medical crew and ill or injured patients in emergency vehicles while complying with North Carolina State Law, the operating policies of UNC Air Care and Ground Transport Services, and manufacturer's specifications.
This is a 36 hours per week, 12 hour rotating shift position. Location of work may be at various bases throughout central North Carolina.
High School diploma or GED. North Carolina Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certification. Valid NC Driver's license. One (1) year of EMT experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience. Current Healthcare Provider or BLS Provider BLS certification required.
Prefer prior experience working with a critical care transport team and must be able to lift 150 pounds with assistance. The work environment is a ground ambulance with some time spent outdoors.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.