Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Select a UNC Health entity below to log-in and get started.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Current UNC Health Employees, learn about our Discovery Employee Referral Program! If you’re referring someone through our Discovery Employee Referral Program, please be sure to submit your referral before your referral applies.
Job ID: OTH01PMA
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC MEDICAL CENTER
Air Medical Telecommunicator needed for Carolina Air Care Critical Care Transport Team:
This is a 36 hour full-time position that requires rotating shifts, day, evening, night and weekends.
The Air Medical Telecommunicator is responsible for providing excellent communication customer service through interactions with staff and customers using telephone and radios. Responsible to coordinate all requests, including mutual aid for patient transports starting with the initial call, assigning the appropriate staff/transport units and ensure situational awareness of all transport units and personnel.. The telecommunicator is also responsible for entering accurate information into the computer aided dispatch and other required record keeping. Must also maintain proficiency in state geography, mapping software and standard emergency services familiarity. Work is performed in accordance with FCC regulations and UNC Hospitals and other related policies and procedures.
Job Duties include but are not limited to the following.
1. Monitor a network of radios, telephones, and weather radios. Receives requests for air/ground transport for critically ill or injured patients. Communicates request to appropriate medical, flight, ground, or other teams.
2. Coordinates all transport activity by notifying transport team, checking weather; verifying locations, security, patient information; and facilitating communication between hospital and flight crew. Maintains position reports of the aircrafts/vehicles. Monitors helicopters during take off and landing; documents the position report of the aircraft throughout the flight.
3. Facilitates communication between the transport team, medical control officer, referring and receiving physician.
4. Maintain all records for missions, data entry and billing. Completes data entry for transports and patients to ensure proper billing. Maintains flight log data. Completes transport request forms and billing invoices for each transport.
5. Ensures all communication center equipment is in working order.
6. Serves as resource person concerning availability of aircraft and other affiliation aircraft.
The base is located in Chapel Hill. The work environment is a desk and computer station with frequent use of computer, phone and radio. Must be able to work in environment without restrictions.
Requires high school diploma and one year of radio communications operator or dispatch experience, Medical Terminology, Computer Aided Dispatch Radio Usage, Background in 911/Emergency medical Dispatch desirable; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
1)One year minimum, three years preferred, recent experience in Air Medical Transport Programs or Emergency Services dispatch or equivalent.
Experience in multiple aircraft program preferred
Experience in high volume system, greater than 25,000 calls per year, preferred
2)Familiarity with medical terminology preferred
3)EMT-Basic credential desirable
4)NC Drivers License in good standing desirable
5)Completion of Certified Flight communicator (NAACS) within one year of hire strongly encouraged
NAACS certification prior to hire desirable
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.