Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Select a UNC Health entity below to log-in and get started.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Current UNC Health Employees, learn about our Discovery Employee Referral Program! If you’re referring someone through our Discovery Employee Referral Program, please be sure to submit your referral before your referral applies.
Job ID: PHA006QK
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC MEDICAL CENTER
Shift: Day Job
Position: Pharmacy Transition Specialist - Medication Histories
Location: Main Hospital / Chapel Hill
Hours: Full Time, 40 hrs/wk; Evenings/Nights; Rotating 7 days on / 7 days off
The Department of
Pharmacy is seeking a highly motivated, energetic, and dynamic individual to
serve patients across the transitions of care continuum. This position will
focus on the collection of medication histories.
The specialist will interact primarily with pharmacists, other members of the patient care team and representatives of outside organizations (pharmacies, long-term care facilities, etc.).
The position will
immediately fill the 7:30 am - 4:00 pm day shift; upon completion of training, this position will convert to working 10-12 hour evening shifts, rotating with 7 days on and 7 days
off, covering into the evenings and nights. This specialist will be stationed in the
Emergency Department, to capture medication histories as patients are
The responsibilities of the Specialist include but are not limited to the following:
• Conduct patient interviews to obtain accurate home medication histories.
• Assemble medication histories by consulting non-patient (outside pharmacies, medical records, etc.) and patient related (patient, family members, etc.) resources.
• Document medication histories in the Electronic Health Record and communicate findings with pharmacy and clinical staff.
Preferred Skills and Attributes:
• Written and verbal communication skills
• The ability to both lead and collaborate as part of on-going team participation
• Ability to prioritize and self-manage workload
• Ability to analyze information and identify inconsistencies
• Continuous problem solving and striving for efficiency in work
Preferred Qualifications and Experience:
• Associates degree, Bachelors degree, or college related training in healthcare field.
• Three or more years experience as a pharmacy technician (certification required).
• Strong clinical knowledge base and understanding of health care system and components.
• Experience with computerized systems including word processing, spreadsheets, database maintenance, and Microsoft Outlook.
Completion of a nine-month Pharmacy Technician Program (or equivalent combination of education, training and experience).
If completion of a Pharmacy Technician Program: No prior experience required.
If a High School Diploma or GED: Two (2) years of experience as a Pharmacy Technician.
Registration with the NC Board of Pharmacy unless enrolled in a PharmD program. CPhT from PTCB or ExCPT from NHA unless enrolled in a PharmD program.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.