Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Select a UNC Health entity below to log-in and get started.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Current UNC Health Employees, learn about our Discovery Employee Referral Program! If you’re referring someone through our Discovery Employee Referral Program, please be sure to submit your referral before your referral applies.
Job ID: PHA006RS
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC MEDICAL CENTER
Shift: Day Job
Position: Inpatient Pharmacy Technician II / Perioperative
Location: Main Hospital / Chapel Hill
Hours: Full Time, 40 hrs/wk; Days
Multiple Positions Available
The UNC Department of Pharmacy is seeking a highly skilled Pharmacy Technician to work in the Ambulatory Surgical Center (ASC) and Perioperative Pharmacy within the Perioperative Pharmacy Team. This technician must demonstrate a high level of expertise and skill as it relates to management of controlled substances in compliance with federal and state laws. This technician has a high level of autonomy in the role but all work is carried out under the supervision of a licensed Pharmacist.
1. Preparation and transfers of sterile IV medications under the direction of a pharmacist and in compliance with current regulations and standards
2. Screens patient medication orders for accuracy, resolves questions in consultation with licensed pharmacist. Fills, delivers and/or exchanges medication to the respective patient area.
3. Prepares controlled substance replenishments of automated dispensing cabinets.
4. Processes sales of controlled substances to other DEA registrants.
5. Receives purchases of controlled substances from other DEA registrants.
6. Works with PYXIS, CII Safe, and other automated dispensing technology to supply correct medications for individual patients, according to pharmacist and physician orders.
7. Documents pharmaceutical activities using automated and paper systems. Ensures accuracy of data. Ensures all recordkeeping is in compliance with state and federal laws.
8. Reconciles paperwork associated with Pyxis CII Safe and performs monthly reconciliation of controlled substance sales to the ASC.
9. Optimizes inventory of controlled substances, including Additions and Deletions of medications within the ASC Pyxis CII Safe.
10. Troubleshoots automated dispensing technology as needed to ensure continuity of patient care and pharmacy operations.
11. Assists with reconciliation of discrepancies in automated dispensing cabinet inventories throughout perioperative areas. Prepares automated dispensing technology reports as needed.
12. Completes inventory counts on a routine basis.
13. Controlled Substance Inventory par level optimization
14. Schedules quality assurance audits with Controlled Substance Assessment Team to ensure compliance needs are met.
15. Communicates drug shortages with ASC anesthesia and ASC nursing staff
16. Coordinates with ASC anesthesia & ASC Day Op Management to optimize medication needs and processes
17. Assists with training of new technician employees in various responsibilities trains and educates other employees in job-specific functions, including updating the ASC Controlled Substances Staffing Guide
18. Assists with training of new technician employees in various responsibilities trains and educates other employees in job-specific functions.
QualificationsHigh School Diploma or GED. Completion of an academic pharmacy technician training program preferred. Prior pharmacy technician experience is preferred.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.