Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Select a UNC Health entity below to log-in and get started.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Current UNC Health Employees, learn about our Discovery Employee Referral Program! If you’re referring someone through our Discovery Employee Referral Program, please be sure to submit your referral before your referral applies.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: OTH01PV7
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: SHARED SERVICES
Shift: Day Job
UNC Professional Relations is hiring a full-time Patient Access & Support Specialist for our 24/7 clinical contact center. The Patient Access & Support Specialist role at UNC Professional Relations serves as an integral point of contact for multiple service lines supporting the UNC Health Care System as well as non-affiliated contracted practices across the state. The clinical contact center is looking for Professionals who are skilled in providing excellent customer service to medical professionals as well as a diverse patient population and who also possess strong critical thinking skills. They should be self-motivated,able to multi-task in a fast paced environment, and demonstrate strong critical thinking and problem solving skills.
1. Fronting patient calls for nurse triage and identifying conditions needing urgent intervention.
2. Researching and recommending UNC Health Care System providers to new and existing patients based on their needs and preferences
3. Registering new patients, scheduling, canceling, rescheduling and confirming patient appointments for UNC Health Care System primary care and specialty care facilities across the state and collaborating with internal departments and external entities with a goal of providing the right care at the right time
4. Providing user support for My UNC Chart (patient portal for health records): Answer questions about accessing, navigating and utilizing the website, troubleshoot common issues and provide one call resolutions, route issues needing further investigation to senior level specialists, maintain strict privacy protocols on digital platform, recognize privacy related situations and submit detailed report of possible issues to the Privacy Office when appropriate
5. Coordinating communications between medical professionals for consultation and patient care follow up to ensure patients are receiving timely care.
6. Participating in special projects to add value to the department and it’s support of the UNC Health Care system in a collaborative and respectful way to meet our organizational goals.
7. Maintaining awareness of higher call volumes and taking appropriate action to prioritize and address call waiting queues in order to meet our departmental service level commitments to provide timely patient care and exceptional patient experiences.
8. Accurately document the details of all incoming and outbound calls in real time in Epic in accordance with standard operating procedures (SOPs).
9. Demonstrate competent customer support related to multiple service line offerings including but not limited to: RN Triage support (contracted practices and Health Plan), RN transitions report, system Access, navigations and primary care scheduling, specialty care scheduling (Atrial Fibrillation and Deep Vein Thrombosis follow up appointments), My UNC Chart user support, NGACO (Senior Alliance) patient and provider support, provider to provider consultations (Carolina Consultation Center), UNC REX Healthnet.
Preferred: background with Epic medical record software and health care scheduling
Preferred: familiarity with medical terminology
Customer Focus: makes the customer and their needs their top priority and goes the extra mile to satisfy their customers. Demonstrates the ability to resolve customer problems.
Technical expertise: understands the technical aspects of one’s job. Demonstrates the ability to learn and master the scheduling system Coachability: Receptive to feedback, willing to learn and embraces continuous improvement
Accountability: Manages performance to meet expected results. Works to meet the internal/external customer requirements.
Fiscal responsibility: Understands the insurance process and seeks to make the best decision/referral in the interest of the customer.
Conflict Resolution: Uses appropriate interpersonal styles and methods to reduce tension or conflict between two or more people. Finds agreement on issues and follows through on implementation.
QualificationsHigh School degree or GED required.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.