Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Select a UNC Health entity below to log-in and get started.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Current UNC Health Employees, learn about our Discovery Employee Referral Program! If you’re referring someone through our Discovery Employee Referral Program, please be sure to submit your referral before your referral applies.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: AUD000IQ
Location: Raleigh, NC
Facility/Division: REX HEALTHCARE
Shift: Day Job
1. Reviews patient complaints that may be the source of potential legal action: discusses and offers solutions, when
possible, to resolve any patient and/or family grievances perceived as potential liability claims. Works in coordination
with UNC Rex staff to resolve complaints/grievances before they develop into professional liability claims.
2. Maintains the UNC Rex safety event reporting system for the hospital, ambulatory care sites, UNC Rex physician practices and rehab and long term care centers. Facilitates new department leader training for the safety event
reporting system. Serves as System Administrator for the safety event and feedback reporting system. Assigns and monitors department leader follow-ups for reported safety events.
3. Investigates and analyzes actual and potential risks in the UNC Rex System: assesses liability and probability of legal action, and provides the notification of insurance carrier as necessary. Interacts with claims manager with
insurance carrier in the investigation and gathering of information as it relates to the event in question. Interacts with the attorneys managing claims/suits with gathering of information and investigation as it relates to the event.
4. Facilitates reviewable/sentinel event investigations and root cause analysis. Maintains documentation and records related to reviewable/sentinel event investigations and root cause analysis. Conducts medical record reviews related
to safety events, patient complaints, potential claims and lawsuits.
5. Serves as resource for medical providers and co-workers for complex patient and family issues that could lead to potential claims/lawsuits.
6. Plans and presents educational presentations to medical providers and co-workers related to risk issues, patient safety issues and safety event reporting. Participates in new employee orientation with risk prevention presentation.
Serves as risk management and patient safety consultant on committees and councils as assigned
7. Assists with developing and/or revising policies, procedures and protocols.
8. Participates and assists with any regulatory surveys and Joint Commission. Assists with survey requests for information and data.
9. Conducts and/or participates in safety rounds as indicated or requested. Participates and/or assists with risk assessments conducted by insurance carrier.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent.
Licensed to practice as a Registered Nurse in the state of North Carolina.
Professional Experience Requirements:
Five years of clinical experience required. Prior risk management experience is preferred. or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
If an Associate's degree: 9 years of experience.
If a High School Diploma or GED: 13 years of experience.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.