Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Select a UNC Health entity below to log-in and get started.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Current UNC Health Employees, learn about our Discovery Employee Referral Program! If you’re referring someone through our Discovery Employee Referral Program, please be sure to submit your referral before your referral applies.
Job ID: LAB006CC
Location: Cary, NC
Facility/Division: REX HEALTHCARE
Shift: Day Job
Provides customer services and schedule services and performs phlebotomy within the UNC Rex Laboratory departments.
1) Wears appropriate PPE at all times. Replaces PPE that is soiled or damaged. Maintains a professional work area throughout the shift. Ensures at the end of the shift that supplies are restocked, bench tops and any soiled areas are cleaned.
2) Demonstrates appropriate Customer Service skills when answering the phone, taking and giving messages, transferring calls and reporting laboratory results verbally and/or by fax. Ensures communication with coworkers is done in a professional manner. Works collaboratively with all areas to ensure accuracy and completeness of procedures and processes. Answers telephone within three (3) rings and provides information to optimize laboratory communication. Notifies doctor, nurse or unit staff if collection will be delayed or cancelled.
3) Maintains proficiency in both the Hospital ADT system and the LIS/IT computer programs. Registers patients and orders test in appropriate computer system as required. Keeps current with insurance updates and software changes. Receives and places orders for laboratory services. Retrieves laboratory results from hospital EMR for physicians and patients.
4) Obtains demographic information from patients or from the laboratory requisition. Enters accurate information into the appropriate information system. Completes all federal and regulatory forms required for the registration process including obtaining signed consents and financial agreements. Orders laboratory tests directly into the electronic medical record.
5) Performs specimen collection by venipuncture, fingerstick and culture techniques as required following documented policies and procedures. Provides instructions for patients and customers regarding appropriate specimen collections. Verifies specimen requirements and appropriate collection procedures prior to specimen collection. Maintains positive patient identification throughout the collection process. Collects urine and blood alcohol specimens in compliance with documented chain of custody procedures. Assures appropriate forms are utilized with complete and accurate information and documentation.
6) Registers Outreach specimens according to standard operating procedure. Sorts courier drop offs and documents on received log. Registers specimens and orders appropriate test. Accurately labels specimens according to standard operating procedures. Follows proper protocol to ensure the integrity of all laboratory specimens.
7) Maintains departmental supplies and inventory. Prepares solutions, reagents and stains following standard operating procedures. Alerts appropriate staff of inventory concerns. Uses reagents with shorter expiration before using those with longer expiration dates. Ensures samples and reagents are stored in the appropriate location and are discarded at the proper intervals.
8) Responsible for training, education and required reading. Assists in training and education of new and fellow employees. Responsible for reading procedures during training and subsequent revisions. Must document review of revised and new standard operating procedures prior to the approval date. Expected to assist with writing, revising and validating of standard operating procedures as requested. Responsible for review and acknowledgement of mandatory policies, job description and completion of annual safety training within the time frames established by the organization. Maintains continuing education requirement per year according to policy. Completes competency materials within established time period.
High School Diploma or GED. If High School Diploma, one (1) year of phlebotomy experience required.
If graduation from a phlebotomy program, no previous experience is required.
Phlebotomy certificate strongly preferred.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.