Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current UNC Health employees, please log-in to Employee Self Service to view open jobs and apply. We invite all current UNC Health employees to fill out their Talent Profile. From Employee Self Service, as an Employee user, go to My Profile, then Talent Profile. Create your Credentials, Education and Employment History to complete your Talent Profile. Your Talent Profile can be used for current and future job applications.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
*Please note: The Discovery Employee Referral Program is temporarily unavailable. Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution. More details are to come soon! Thank you for your patience.
Job ID: 1186
Location: Lenoir, NC
Facility/Division: Caldwell Memorial Hospital
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 30,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Prepares and processes tissue and fluid specimens for analysis by a pathologist and prepares slides for pathologist review by embedding, cutting and staining tissue samples.
1. Reviews physician orders for accuracy and enters tissue and procedures into the laboratory information system. Obtains corrective action when needed. Documents specimen identification issues according to QA policy.
2. Accurately prepares and labels cassettes prior to pathologist grossing.
3. Performs tissue fixation according to procedure. Troubleshoots any alarms of warning messages on the processing equipment. Performs maintenance on the tissue processor according to quality assurance procedure and schedule.
4. Embeds processed tissue and cuts sections for microscopic examination using a microtome.
5. Performs routine staining procedures and ensures quality of stains are acceptable by pathologist review. Orders special stains or procedures as needed from reference laboratory and enters requisition into information system for tracking.
6. Assists histology section head in collecting and documenting quality assurance indicator data.
7. Performs pathology transcription and orders supplies when needed.
● High school diploma or equivalent.
● Prefer Associate's Degree in Histology.
● None required, but eligibility for certification is recommended.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Requires minimum 2 years experience working in a clinical laboratory performing histology procedures with a licensed pathologist.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Knowledge of anatomy.
Entity: Caldwell Memorial Hospital
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Lenoir
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Not Applicable
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.