Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current UNC Health employees, please log-in to Employee Self Service to view open jobs and apply. We invite all current UNC Health employees to fill out their Talent Profile. From Employee Self Service, as an Employee user, go to My Profile, then Talent Profile. Create your Credentials, Education and Employment History to complete your Talent Profile. Your Talent Profile can be used for current and future job applications.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
*Please note: The Discovery Employee Referral Program is temporarily unavailable. Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution. More details are to come soon! Thank you for your patience.
Job ID: 1243
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 30,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Maintenance Supervisor develops, plans, implements and completes maintenance projects and programs at UNC Health Care System. This position ensures compliance in maintenance throughout the UNC Health Care System.
1. Coordinates the flow of work or services between Facilities departments, and assists in the resolution of inter- and intra-departmental operating problems. Maintains safety and health standards to ensure compliance with Joint Commission on accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO), local, state and federal codes and regulations, and UNC HCS policies.
2. Estimates job requirements, including staffing, equipment, parts, materials and supplies for designated work unit. Monitors work activity levels to ensure proper staffing and other resources are properly allocated. Responsible for managing contractors in area of responsibility.
3. Performs administrative activities, including preparation of special and periodic reports to management as needed and requested adherence to financial data, budgetary information, maintenance charge backs and other data initiating and preparing forms and records, including payroll records, work orders, inventory records, personnel records, material requisitions, and other documents.
4. Procures parts and services for area of responsibility. Oversees the safe operation and use of various types of mechanical and power driven equipment. Inspects maintenance equipment and facilities to ensure that the maintenance objectives of the Division are being fully realized.
5. Responds to and resolves inquiries from the public, patients, and UNC HCS staff. Monitors the effectiveness of preventive maintenance programs and provides information about new equipment and technology for program updates.
6. Responsible for planning, scheduling, training, and supervising maintenance personnel, group leaders and other workers in the completion of their duties. Assists director in interviewing, selection, promotion and evaluation of applicants and employees according to UNC HCS policies and procedures.
● High School diploma or GED
● No licensure or certification required.
● Dependent upon area of assignment.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● If assigned to General Maintenance: Ten years of progressive maintenance experience (five years of experience must be in a supervisory capacity or equivalent role which included Lead responsibilities) in the installation, maintenance, and repair of physical plant facilities. In addition, must also meet the requirements of HVAC, Plumbing, Electrical, or Electronics Shop, or a combination of requirements and certifications as appropriate for the level of Supervision assigned. Duties performed requiring certification, must be signed off by credentialed maintenance employee.
● If assigned to HVAC: Ten years of progressive experience in the installation, maintenance and repair of HVAC, air handling, chiller, chilled water distribution, refrigeration and control systems, including progressive experience in problem solving and system troubleshooting. Experience shall also demonstrate an understanding of HVAC, Refrigeration, and chilled water system maintenance, installation, standards, and methods as used within an institutional or hospital environment. Total experience must also include three years (minimum) experience at an HVAC Technician level, or equivalent, which included
lead or supervisory responsibilities. CFC certification is required for all levels of work performed to meet EPA Type I, II, III or Universal Technician requirements as referenced in 40 CFR part 82, subpart F. Also requires N.C. Heating Contractors, Group 2 and Group 3 Class I license or N.C. Heating Contractors, Group 2 and N.C. Refrigeration Contractors license.
● If assigned to Plumbing: Ten years of progressive experience in performing the full range of journeyman level tasks associated with plumbing work, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Requires a N.C. Master Plumbing license. Also requires within two years of hiring the following additional licenses and certifications: (1)
Certified to maintain Medical Gas, (2) Limited Fire Sprinkler Maintenance License, and (3) Certified in Cross Connection (back-flows).
● If assigned to Electrical: Ten years of progressive experience in facility maintenance or construction, including general maintenance, electrical systems maintenance and installation, with an understanding of electrical systems maintenance and construction standards and methods as used within an institutional or hospital environment. Requires a minimum of a Limited Electrician’s license issued by the NC Board of Examiners
● If assigned to Electronics Shop: Requires either graduation from a Technical or Community college or Institute (2 year program minimum) with a degree / diploma in Electronics or related technical field, or NICET Fire Alarm Systems Level II Certification. Requires ten years progressive experience in complex electronic systems maintenance, installation and repair, including fire detection and suppression systems, communications systems and television systems. Experience must include extensive knowledge of electronic theory, system application, electrical and electronic circuitry and electronic devices and equipment.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Knowledge of a variety of maintenance systems
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Not Applicable
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.