Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current UNC Health employees, please log-in to Employee Self Service to view open jobs and apply. We invite all current UNC Health employees to fill out their Talent Profile. From Employee Self Service, as an Employee user, go to My Profile, then Talent Profile. Create your Credentials, Education and Employment History to complete your Talent Profile. Your Talent Profile can be used for current and future job applications.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
*Please note: The Discovery Employee Referral Program is temporarily unavailable. Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution. More details are to come soon! Thank you for your patience.
Job ID: 1247
Location: Durham, NC
Facility/Division: Shared Services
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 30,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Responsible for leading the development and implementation of strategic sourcing, contracting, and procurement. Will provide administrative leadership across multiple hospitals, long-term care, physician practices, durable medical equipment and all other entities that are a member of or managed by the UNC Health Care System. Develop system level contract initiatives and forecast opportunities to drive organizational savings and efficiencies. This position will work collaboratively with any variety of entities, administrative individuals, teams and groups of physicians and clinicians to develop and implement sourcing and contracting strategies that will minimize the organization's total cost of ownership for supplies, services and capital purchases while maintaining a customer focused culture and meeting the needs of diverse constituencies. This individual will be responsible for continuing to streamline and automate the purchasing process, and coordinate activities with the distribution and logistics teams. In addition, this individual will be responsible for identifying and implementing industry best practices that will ensure UNC Health Care is considered a best-in-class class supply chain organization both within and outside the health care industry. Requires a high energy, seasoned professional to provide leadership and direction for all the activities involved in the sourcing, contracting and acquisition of supplies, services and capital equipment for UNC Health Care.
1. Develop policies and procedures that maximize the efficiency and effectiveness of the department. Ensure all proper internal controls are in place to safeguard the assets of the system and satisfy internal and external regulatory requirements. Develop and monitor departmental operating budgets
2. Interface with all UNC Health Care facilities and assist in cost effectively satisfying their supply, service, capital and support needs. Effectively communicates supply chain?s strategies and successfully elicit support and assistance in implementing those strategies. Create and maintain a customer focused work environment that attracts and retains high caliber employees. Coach and mentor employees in such a way as to obtain superior organizational engagement and performance. Monitor and evaluate employee performance and strive to ensure that all employees are treated fairly with compassion and respect.
3. Performs all job responsibilities in alignment with the core values, mission and vision of the UNC Health Care System. Maintains current knowledge in present areas of responsibility (i.e., self- education, attends ongoing educational programs). Performs other duties as required and completes all job functions as per departmental policies and procedures.
4. Utilize innovative techniques to develop and implement strategies to maximize the effectiveness of the acquisition process for supplies, services and capital equipment. Improve data integrity and ensures the system?s various Materials Management Information Systems are used to maximum capacity. Implement processes to ensure accurate contract price files. Expand the electronic order processing capabilities of the department and assists in the refinement and implementation of the department?s e-commerce strategy.
5. Work collaboratively with teams and other end users to develop and implement sourcing and contracting strategies that maximize UNC Health Care?s size and scope that results in the lowest total cost of ownership. Determine the optimal balance of group purchasing organization (GPO) and self-negotiated contracts for supplies, pharmaceuticals, services and capital equipment. Pro-actively provide input on industry best practices and assist leadership to realize the benefits of implementing UNC Health Care?s short and long term supply chain strategy. Work collaboratively with department and other organizational peers to effectively implement those strategies.
6. Work with peers to identify and analyze standardization and utilization opportunities. Implement processes to identify, implement and ensure standardization decisions occur with minimal disruption to patient care or administrative activities. Identify and implement industry ?best practices? which result in continual improvement in the department?s operations. Develop internal and external benchmarks and prepare periodic reports on the department?s achievements and improvements.
● Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Health Administration or related field (or equivalent combination of education, training and experience).
● No licensure or certification required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● If a Bachelor's degree: Seven (7) years of experience in contract negotiations, working with physician and clinician teams, including three (3) years of experience in a supervisory role.
● If an Associate's degree: Eleven (11) years of experience in contract negotiations, working with physician and clinician teams, including three (3) years of experience in a supervisory role.
● If a High School diploma or GED: Fifteen (15) years of experience in contract negotiations, working with physician and clinician teams, including three (3) years of experience in a supervisory role.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Must possess a good working knowledge of business law concepts and legal aspects of contract administration and purchasing best practices.
Entity: Shared Services
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Durham
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Not Applicable
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.