Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current UNC Health employees, please log-in to Employee Self Service to view open jobs and apply. We invite all current UNC Health employees to fill out their Talent Profile. From Employee Self Service, as an Employee user, go to My Profile, then Talent Profile. Create your Credentials, Education and Employment History to complete your Talent Profile. Your Talent Profile can be used for current and future job applications.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
*Please note: The Discovery Employee Referral Program is temporarily unavailable. Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution. More details are to come soon! Thank you for your patience.
Job ID: 1638
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Night Job
Performs and participates in the decontamination and cleaning of all instruments received, which includes and is not limited to instrumentation and equipment received from all units according to established standards and procedures.
This is a 40 hour a week position with night shifts (11pm-7:30am). This position qualifies for a generous benefit package including PTO accrual based upon the number of hours hired to work.
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 30,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Processes and issues routine and specialized medical/surgical supplies and instruments used in the care and treatment of patients. Cleans, high-level disinfects/sterilizes, and packages medical and surgical instrument trays and inventories.
1. Assembles baskets of instruments, basin sets and equipment using appropriate check lists and prepares for sterilization.
2. Assembles sets of supplies and instruments used in a variety of clinical settings. Checks for cleanliness and functionality (i.e. sharpness of scissors, smooth movement of hinged instruments, etc.)
3. Decontaminates, disinfects and thoroughly cleans supplies, instruments and equipment used in a variety of procedures.
4. Distributes instruments, equipment and supplies to appropriate location.
5. Monitors and maintains adequate levels of supplies, instruments and equipment.
6. Monitors equipment for malfunctions. Makes minor repairs. Notifies appropriate staff of need for more major repairs.
7. Demonstrates proficiency in reprocessing and maintenance of endoscopes and other endoscopic equipment per high-level disinfection (HLD) policy and manufacturer instructions (IFU). Maintain scope washers and washer adapters. Check detergent levels and effectiveness of disinfectant as per policy. Effectively communicates information regarding scope repairs, loaners, supplies and QI information by maintaining documentation of all actions. Wears PPE as per policy, maintains supplies needed for cleaning and reprocessing, and communicates effectively equipment failures and needed repairs. Accurately records data in appropriate logs.
8. Interacts with equipment according to manufacturer guidelines demonstrating a thorough knowledgeable of instrument and equipment IFUs and processes instruments.
9. Wears PPE as per policy.
10. Maintains supplies needed for cleaning and reprocessing and communicates equipment failures and needed repairs effectively.
11. Accurately records data in appropriate logs.
● High School diploma or GED
● No licensure or certification required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● No experience required.
● If position is located at UNC Medical Center or Rex Hospital, nine months' experience as a sterile tech is required.
● If graduation from a sterile processing school, no experience is required.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Night Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Non-Exempt
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.