Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current UNC Health employees, please log-in to Employee Self Service to view open jobs and apply. We invite all current UNC Health employees to fill out their Talent Profile. From Employee Self Service, as an Employee user, go to My Profile, then Talent Profile. Create your Credentials, Education and Employment History to complete your Talent Profile. Your Talent Profile can be used for current and future job applications.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
*Please note: The Discovery Employee Referral Program is temporarily unavailable. Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution. More details are to come soon! Thank you for your patience.
Job ID: 1698
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Per Diem
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 30,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Assists a surgical team in the care of patients undergoing surgical intervention.
1. Assists surgical team during the surgical procedures. Knows UNC instrument nomenclature. Anticipates surgical team needs. Knows sequence of various procedures within the following services Orthopedic, Neuro/Ophth, CT/Vascular/Transplant, ENT/Plastic/Burns/Oral Maxillofacial, General/Urology, GYN/Pediatrics. Sets up according to UNC methods.
2. Follows safe practices according to UNC policies and procedures. Observes strict sterile technique. Observes others for breaks in sterile technique. Checks sterility of supplies and instrumentation. Checks autoclave indicators and tapes. Checks for holes in wrappers/filters/drapes. Checks instruments for signs of contamination (old blood in forceps, etc). Checks expiration dates. Checks and labels fluids and medications on sterile field accurately. Labels and notifies circular of specimens to be sent and handles specimens properly. Follows UNC count policy, initiates counts at appropriate times and communicates results to surgeons. Uses good body mechanics. Passes and handles sharps safely.
3. Helps maintain safe, clean, efficient environment. Assures room is clean before bringing case into the OR. Assures needed supplies/positioning aids/equipment are available and clean. Helps restock OR when time permits. Uses supplies judiciously, refrains from opening """"have available"""" supplies and instruments. Participates in reprocessing program.
4. Knows contents of individual baskets within following services Orthopedic, Neuro/Ophth, CT/Vascular/Transplant, ENT/Plastic/Burn/Maxillofacial, General/Trauma, GYN/Pediatrics. Knows proper use of instruments. Keeps set-up tidy/organized throughout surgical procedure. Keeps instruments clean during procedure. Segregates instruments into appropriate baskets after case. Separates fine, sharp and lumened instruments. Sends all instruments to CPD free of gross blood/flushes lumens. Returns unused supplies and instruments to appropriate locations. Practices scrupulous scope care and documentation. Documents results of flash/steris/implant sterilization.
5. May also perform training activities to include the following Assess training needs of employees, Compose and develop instructional training and orientation materials, Conduct training and orientation on policies, procedures, and systems, Develop training plans based on needs assessments, Provides other support necessary for training such as purchasing training materials/systems maintaining training records and making logistical arrangements.
6. Participates in self/staff education/CQI programs. Attends CE presentations. Precepts new/current staff. Continues to expand knowledge base and cross train to other services, is willing to learn new techniques and procedures. Presents CE programs for team/staff. Participates in CQI studies/projects
● Requires high school diploma. Graduation from an accredited Surgical Technology program.
● No licensure or certification required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● One (1) year of experience as a Surgical Technician in a comparable environment.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Work Type: Per Diem
Standard Hours Per Week: 8.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Non-exempt
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.