Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current UNC Health employees, please log-in to Employee Self Service to view open jobs and apply. We invite all current UNC Health employees to fill out their Talent Profile. From Employee Self Service, as an Employee user, go to My Profile, then Talent Profile. Create your Credentials, Education and Employment History to complete your Talent Profile. Your Talent Profile can be used for current and future job applications.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
*Please note: The Discovery Employee Referral Program is temporarily unavailable. Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution. More details are to come soon! Thank you for your patience.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 1806
Location: Raleigh, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Part Time
Shift: Evening Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 30,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Activities Therapist plans, organizes, develops, and directs quality activities for patients, ensuring that the recreational, physical, intellectual, spiritual, and social needs of each patient are met in accordance with all applicable laws, regulations, and Life Care standards. Activities Therapists work as members of a multidisciplinary treatment team. May organize and conduct music, art, recreation, or other therapy programs, depending on specialty.
1. Must perform proficiently in all competency areas including but not limited to: general activities duties,, supervisory responsibilities, care plan and documentation responsibilities, patient rights, and safety and sanitation principles and techniques of therapy as applies in an acute care psychiatric facility
2. Must demonstrate understanding of basic medical and psychiatric terminology as well as basic regulations governing the treatment of people in psychiatric health facilities.
3. Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing while appropriately and descriptively charting patient progress and behavior. Maintain detailed records of activity programs and participation of individual residents, identifying progress toward established care plan goals.
4. Adapt treatment programs by graduating tasks to meet patient's level of function
5. Develop, organize, and implement a program of adjunctive therapy activities to meet the social, emotional, physical and other therapeutic needs of patients as identified on the patients’ plan of care and within the specified budget.
6. Must be able to make regular in-room visits to patients uninterested or unable to participate in group activities
7. Must exhibit excellent customer service and a positive attitude towards patients. Coordinate and verify that assistance is provided to residents for activities and events as necessary. Create an ongoing calendar of activities, which creatively meets multiple needs and is accessible and appealing to both men and women of all ages and abilities.
● Bachelor’s Degree in human services field required
● No licensure or certification required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● No experience is required
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● A variety of individual and group facilitation techniques• Demonstrated proficiency in arts/crafts/music is preferred• Knowledge of one or more therapeutic activity area such as recreation/occupational/music/art therapy; individual and group behavior and effective ways of working with clients; knowledge of the general nature of physical or mental illnesses/disabilities and/or developmental disabilities;• Ability to apply and adapt skills and knowledge of activity areas to planned sessions of therapeutic activities; Ability to foster interest, initiative, responsibility, and experimentation in clients and discourage inappropriate responses;• Experience facilitating therapeutic groups.• Familiarity working with forensic and/or psychiatric consumers preferred.
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Work Type: Part Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 28.00
Work Schedule: Evening Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Raleigh
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Not Applicable
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.