Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this summer. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 1105
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 30,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Performs a variety of routine mammography related diagnostic and screening procedures in the field of radiologic and breast imaging. Prepares and administers contrast media and medications in accordance with state and federal guidelines. Performs patient assessments and provides patient care including instruction in self-breast examination.
1. Ensures safe and appropriate procedure environment (Includes equipment room checks, cleanliness, accessory check, appropriate stocking). Uses technical knowledge and ability to assist in actively troubleshooting work unit problems with respect to equipment and protocols. Maintains a clean and safe work environment. Documents incidents and advises area supervisor of improvement opportunities for the work unit.
2. Ensures that patient demographic, emulsion markers, and examination requested are correct. Critiques, orients and saves all pertinent images. Transmits QA-ed images to PACS. Ensures that all images reach PACS. Documents completion and/or cancellation of all procedures in RIS, documenting comments when appropriate. Maintains image management equipment, reporting any equipment problem to appropriate resources. Utilizes PACS system for obtaining additional study data.
3. Evaluates patient understanding and consent of procedure, patient condition, and patient's ability to complete procedure adapts procedure plan according to patient identified needs offers instruction in self-breast examination and education. Assesses patients physical condition and develops an action plan for performing examination. Assesses patients condition to determine if additional medical personnel and or equipment is needed and takes appropriate action. Assists patients that require extra attention.
4. Evaluates requisition and patient information to determine appropriateness of procedure (Patient ID, pregnancy check, lab values, chart information). Evaluates appropriateness of orders to ensure correct examination and views are performed. Verifies patient identity. Obtains patient history relevant to examination order. Verifies pregnancy status before administering ionizing radiation. Analyzes request and draws appropriate conclusions for examination and action plan. Reviews radiographic orders and images and correlates patient demographic information, ensuring accuracy of information. Reviews daily schedule and/or status of patients waiting in department for examinations on a regular basis
5. Performs and assists with radiographic procedures including appropriate information system input, analysis of procedure outcomes, and notifies appropriate personnel regarding patient pre-procedure, procedure and post-procedure status. Precept new employees and students.
● Associate's degree or completion of an accredited Radiologic Sciences Program.
● MQSA-required education and on the job training provided to qualified candidates.
● Registered by the American Registry of Radiological Sciences or registry eligible and become registered within one (1) year from date of hire. (Registry eligible candidates must provide a copy of diploma from accredited program.) Must maintain registry status and continuing education requirements annually.
● Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Provider certification
Professional Experience Requirements:
● No prior experience required.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Not Applicable
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.