Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current UNC Health employees, please log-in to Employee Self Service to view open jobs and apply. We invite all current UNC Health employees to fill out their Talent Profile.
From Employee Self Service, as an Employee user, go to My Profile, then Talent Profile. Create your Credentials, Education and Employment History to complete your Talent Profile. Your Talent Profile can be used for current and future job applications.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
** Please note: Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this Spring. In the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied. For applicable positions, learn more here. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 2187
Location: Raleigh, NC
Facility/Division: UNC REX Healthcare
Status: Part Time
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 30,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Clinical Dietitian II works closely with the multidisciplinary healthcare team to coordinate evidence based medical nutrition therapy that is integrated and compatible with the patient focused medical goals. Primary responsibilities include application of the Nutrition Care Process (NCP), through nutrition focused physical exam. Nutrition/malnutrition assessment, nutrition diagnosis, interventions, monitoring and evaluating of the patient's progress. The Clinical Dietitian II uses practice-specific dietetics and as available and evidence based practice protocols/nutrition practice guidelines to help determine nutrition intervention.The Clinical Dietitian II has extensive knowledge in the area of specialty practice, working with and applying this knowledge to the most complex ofpatients >50% of the time e.g., in Nutrition Support Services (TPN - Total Parenteral Nutrition management/ordering to include determining macronutrient and micronutrient composition of parenteral nutrition and performing nutrition focused physical examinations to determine malnutrition status. The Clinical Dietitian II performs business functions, such as management of resources in a cost-effective manner, and participates in compliance and quality performance improvement efforts to ensure that nutrition care is safe and effective. The Clinical Dietitian II is an integral partof the multidisciplinary team, serving as a resource on nutrition management of the specialty practice area(s) is involved in team conferences provides nutrition-related in-services and contributes to the development and revision of hospital policies. The Clinical Dietitian II also may be involved in community-based nutrition programs and maintains professional competency and skills required for professional practice. The Clinical Dietitian II precepts interns and supports, models and trains clinical dietitians in the core behaviors and responsibilities of the department and organization.
1. Acts as a resource person for the specialty team assigned and serves as a liaison between other medical specialties and ancillary services.
2. Assists in achieving compliance with the Joint Commission, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, Healthcare Facilities AccreditationProgram (HFAP), or other accrediting agency standards to continuously improve the safety and quality of care to the public and to the organization’s performance improvement.
3. Creates/updates evidence based protocols in area of specialty and trains others in order to ensure medical nutrition therapy practices are current and meet established guidelines.
4. Identifies needs for professional development and mentors others in area of specialty practice. Participates in the training of clinical nutrition intern by acting as preceptor throughout the year as assigned.
5. Participates in clinical research, on-the-job training, or QI projects as pertains to clinical specialty. Leads efforts to continually understand and measure quality of the specialty area practice in terms of structures, process, content, and outcomes. Designs and tests interventions to change process and systems of specialty practice area with the objective of improving quality outcomes. Serves on cross functional quality teams.
● Bachelor’s degree at a US regionally accredited university or college and course work accredited or approved by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND) of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
● Completion of a Coordinated Program in Dietetics or Dietetic Internship accredited by ACEND (Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics) of no less than 900 hours (1200 hours for graduates of programs beginning 2012)
● Registered Dietitian (RD) by The Commission of Dietetic Registration (CDR)
● Licensed as a Dietitian/Nutritionist (LDN) by the North Carolina Board of Dietetics and Nutrition. (Certain positions may allow licensure to be obtained within one (1) month from date of hire).
● Certification in area of specialty (e.g., CDE, CNSC, CNSD, CSR, CSP, CSSD, CSGN, CLE, BCLE, etc.) or advanced degree or approved to practice in specialized roles where certification does not exist. (Certain positions may allow specialty certification to be obtained within six (6) months from date of hire or next offered exam date for those who have obtained educational preparation for certification.)
● Some positions may require appropriate credentialing for billing purposes (e.g., NPI, Medicare/Medicaid Provider, BCBSNC Provider) to be obtained within one (1) month from date of hire.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Specialist - Three (3) years as an RD with two (2) of those years' experience in area of specialty or three (3) years nutrition experience in a tertiary care, teaching hospital. Additional experience may be required for specific positions.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Knowledge of the Nutrition Care Process and ability to apply all steps of the process.• Comprehensive knowledge and application of medical nutrition therapy.• Understands and can implement Motivational Interviewing• Critical thinking to integrate facts, informed opinion, active listening, and observations.• Decision making, problem solving, and collaboration.• Ability to communicate effectively in both written and verbal form to patients, public, hospital and medical staff, and physicians.• Ability to function independently on assigned patient care units. Ability to counsel and educate others.• General knowledge of nutrient analysis, word processing, and spreadsheet software.
Entity: UNC REX Healthcare
Organization Unit: Rex FNS Main
Work Type: Part Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 20.00
Work Schedule: Variable
Location of Job: US:NC:Raleigh
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.