Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current UNC Health employees, please log-in to Employee Self Service to view open jobs and apply. We invite all current UNC Health employees to fill out their Talent Profile. From Employee Self Service, as an Employee user, go to My Profile, then Talent Profile. Create your Credentials, Education and Employment History to complete your Talent Profile. Your Talent Profile can be used for current and future job applications.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
*Please note: The Discovery Employee Referral Program is temporarily unavailable. Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution. More details are to come soon! Thank you for your patience.
Job ID: 1755
Location: Morrisville, NC
Facility/Division: Shared Services
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 30,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Medical Director of UNC Health’s Acute Care at Home program is a dynamic, experienced physician leader who is passionate about transforming the future of healthcare. This physician leader is a visible ambassador for the Acute Care at Home program and is critical to establishing strong clinical relationships with referring physicians.
The Medical Director drives the program clinical vision and leads the Acute Care at Home clinical team to achieve excellent clinical performance, patient experience, and outcomes while also advancing clinical innovation and the overall program success strategy. The Medical Director reports to UNC Health’s Chief Medical Officer and has a dotted line reporting relationship with the Executive Medical Director for the Virtual Care Center and VP for Well Care and Specialty Services. The Medical Director works closely with the Acute Care at Home Director (as the second half of the dyad) to be the front-line operational leaders interfacing with clinical and non-clinical leaders to support care delivery in the Acute Care at Home model. The Medical Director oversees physicians and advance practice clinicians in the Acute Care at Home telemedical command center (“Mission Control”) and ensures provision of high-quality Acute Care at Home care. In addition to a leadership role, the Medical Director will provide direct clinical care within the Acute Care at Home program (at least 0.5 FTE) through the initial implementation and a minimum of 0.2 FTE thereafter. The Medical Director is expected to demonstrate exceptional clinical, leadership, strategic planning, critical thinking, patient relations, organizational, and time management skills. The ideal candidate is passionate about transformative virtual care solutions, innovating clinical best practice, and driving exceptional patient-centered care.
1. Performs all clinical and administrative duties expected of a medical provider.
2. Drives clinical model design, policy, program eligibility, and strategic plan. Leads clinical operations workgroup/oversight committee to coordinate Acute Care at Home operations, initiatives, and clinical priorities.
3. Supervises and coordinates the supervision of Acute Care at Home Physicians and Advanced Practice Clinicians (PAs) through team assignments, chart review, mentoring, etc.
4. Evaluates medical provider performance and provides regular feedback to medical providers on their performance on teamwork and professionalism, and clinical, compliance, regulatory, and fiscal indicators. Meets with individual providers on a regular basis to assess job satisfaction and well-being and offer resources and support as needed. Identifies and assists providers in need of performance enhancement, quality of care improvements, general support, or training.
5. Ensures proper provider staffing, plan for appropriate medical staffing levels, and identifies staffing and recruitment needs. Coordinates medical provider and advanced practice providers schedules with the Acute Care at Home Administrator.
6. Takes lead in provider recruitment, interviewing, hiring, and onboarding of new medical providers with focus on identifying strong fit for Acute Care at Home care setting.
7. Participates in completion and evaluation of safety event reports, as required. Discusses areas of heightened concern with CMO, medical review, or quality committee in a timely manner as needed.
8. Introduces, updates, and champions clinical guidelines and standards of care within the medical provider team. Communicates with providers via various modes (email, meetings, one-on-one, etc.) around new Acute Care at Home developments and initiatives.
9. Leads effort to partner clinical leaders at referral sites to build buy-in for the Acute Care at Home program among referring stakeholder groups including Physicians, Care Management, Nursing and patients and families; serves as an escalation point of contact for patient acquisition questions and troubleshooting.
10. Represents medical providers on committees and participate in managing the day-to-day clinical operations the medical command center. Represents Acute Care at Home activities and initiatives to community agencies, partners, and stakeholders as needed.
11. Serves as the dyad partner to the Virtual Hospital Director for day-to-day operational management of the virtual hospital.
12. Attends staff and management meetings, including all-staff and site-staff meetings, provider meetings, and others as necessary, including clinical operations committee, quality and safety committee, management team meetings, etc. Manages regulatory pathways and interaction with applicable agencies on the local, state, and federal level.
13. Establishes an environment of teamwork and inter-professional collaboration to ensure an integrated team approach to patient care. Engages providers, nursing, pharmacy other stakeholder participation and input to expand and strengthen Acute Care at Home programs through collaborative problem solving and decision-making.
● Graduation from Medical School.
● Board Certified/Board Eligible Physician in Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, Geriatrics, or Emergency Medicine.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● At least five years of experience as a practicing physician required.
● Experience as a hospitalist or in a skilled nursing facility is preferred.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Committed to providing high quality, evidenced based medicine to a diverse patient population.
● Possess expert, complex, clinical decision-making skills; triage and collaboration skill and will display a high-level of comfort with providing care in a non-traditional setting.
● Excellent clinical and communication skills.
● Demonstrated ability to collaborate with and influence peers and other providers to drive department success.
● Effective in offering support of others and developing new providers into experienced clinicians.
● Demonstrated supervisory skills sufficient to manage staff in a medical office, clinic, or facility.
● Demonstrated ability to lead multidisciplinary team. Handles conflict with fairness, courtesy, diplomacy, honesty, firmness, empathy and confidence.
● Knowledge of common safety hazards and precautions sufficient to establish a safe work environment.
● Approaches problem-solving by focusing on patients first. Advocates for care that best serves the patient. Addresses patient complaints/problems in a timely manner.
● Experience with electronic medical records as well as demonstrated comfort with technology and ability to integrate into patient care processes.
Entity: Shared Services
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Morrisville
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Not Applicable
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.