Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current UNC Health employees, please log-in to Employee Self Service to view open jobs and apply. We invite all current UNC Health employees to fill out their Talent Profile. From Employee Self Service, as an Employee user, go to My Profile, then Talent Profile. Create your Credentials, Education and Employment History to complete your Talent Profile. Your Talent Profile can be used for current and future job applications.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
*Please note: The Discovery Employee Referral Program is temporarily unavailable. Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution. More details are to come soon! Thank you for your patience.
Job ID: 66
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: Shared Services
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Responsible for performing a variety of complex customer service related functions through the Call Center for patients and/or their representative including collection of prior debt, obtaining authorizations, addressing billing questions, establishing payment plans, screening for financial assistance, responding to MyUNC Chart inquiries and other Customer Service requests for both hospital and physician services across the Healthcare System.
Description of Job Responsibilities:
• Handles HB/PB patient inquiries to address any/all billing questions via inbound calls, MyUNC Chart, patient correspondence and patient walk-ins.
• Fulfills patient requests for itemization of charges, adding/verifying/billing insurance, establishing payment plans, payroll deductions, process adjustments, request refunds, and explain charity care policy and guidelines.
• Initiate patient outreach on delinquent payment plans, adding accounts to existing payment plans and high risk/balance accounts. Investigate HB and PB Set off Debt Collection Act (SODCA) disputed accounts that have received a NC State Income Tax refund withhold using current and legacy billing and imaging systems. Meets with attorneys to record depositions, collaborate with the attorney general’s office and attend/participate in hearings when needed.
• Work with Patient Relations, Risk Management for HB and PB patients who have escalated complaints or concerns. Oversee HB Client account billing and follow-up which includes validating charges and fee schedules, review and move charges, research and reconcile payments, communicate with multiple departments to answer client questions and collect payments. Work with external customers such as collection agencies, UNCPN and Hospital based clinics to address any patient concerns •Desired candidate should have both professional verbal and written skills. English/Spanish bi-lingual desired but not required.
● High school diploma or GED.
● No licensure or certification required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Two (2) years of experience in Hospital or Physician Insurance related activities (Authorization, Billing, Follow-Up, Call-Center, or Collections).
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
● Excellent listening skills, and organizational skills.
● Advanced knowledge of UB-04, HCFA-1500’s and Explanation of Benefits (EOB) interpretation.
● Intermediate knowledge of CPT and ICD-9 codes.
● Advanced knowledge of insurance billing, collections and insurance terminology.
● Ability to work in fast pace environment and prioritize and manage multiple tasks.
● Healthcare terminology.
● Customer Service skills.
● Computer knowledge: MS Word, Excel, and Outlook.
● Knowledge of 3rd party reimbursements from insurance companies and government payers is a plus.
Entity: Shared Services
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Not Applicable
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.