Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current UNC Health employees, please log-in to Employee Self Service to view open jobs and apply. We invite all current UNC Health employees to fill out their Talent Profile. From Employee Self Service, as an Employee user, go to My Profile, then Talent Profile. Create your Credentials, Education and Employment History to complete your Talent Profile. Your Talent Profile can be used for current and future job applications.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
*Please note: The Discovery Employee Referral Program is temporarily unavailable. Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution. More details are to come soon! Thank you for your patience.
Job ID: 1067
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 30,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Clinical Nurse Education Specialist is an advanced level of nursing practice that facilitates the professional development of licensed and unlicensed employees to enhance professional competency including (but not limited to) educational assessment, planning and outcome evaluation. Coordinates staff development and educational needs of patient care nursing staff, patients, and families. This is an advanced level position in clinical education, which is performed under minimal supervision. Assignments are characterized as those requiring collaboration to address staff educational needs within a specialty practice area and/or service and/or across the hospital. Serves as subject matter expert in a lead capacity for house-wide initiatives, including those in conjunction with hospital accreditation Work may be performed collaboratively for multiple disciplines across the continuum of care or for a specific patient population or service area.
Clinical Nurse Education Specialist Diabetes Program. This position will serve in primary functions of nursing professional development and education for diabetic patient education and efforts focused on diabetic care improvements; house-wide educational initiatives and supporting new products and equipment related to diabetic care; responsible for policies and content related; lead and support Diabetes Resource Nurse Program and related activities and other Center for Nursing Excellence departmental support and initiatives; pediatric diabetes education experience preferred.
1. Clinical Resource- Serves as a clinical resource and role model, provides clinical supervision to staff in developing clinical knowledge, skills and abilities
2. Competencies- Participates in the identification of essential competencies for clinical areas/service lines. Develops educational programs to maintain or develop the identified competencies. Works with and through preceptors and nursing unit leadership to develop knowledge and skills of nursing staff.
3. Educational Consultation- Provides consultation to UNC Health Care system and UNC Hospitals, and nursing leadership for program development. Partners with committees, councils and other departments in the identification and development of educational programs, training for new products, and development of competence assessment.
4. Educational Programs- Independently plans and delivers an array of educational programs to hospital employees in clinical, department or hospital wide groups with a primary focus on nursing staff. Develops, coordinates, administers, facilitates, conducts and evaluates Nursing Orientation programs including skill based residency programs and the Nurse Residency Program.
5. Evidence-Based Practice- Develops evidence-based standards of care, comprehensive nursing plans, clinical pathways for patients and families and facilitates implementation of same.
6. Nursing Educational Programs- Develops educational programs designed to augment the knowledge, skills and attitudes of nursing staff. Assist in the development of Clinical Nurse III and Clinical Nurse IV educational skills to plan, develop, and present continuing education content/programs. Evaluates the outcomes of all educational programs. Participates in point of care research.
7. Placement of Nursing students- Assists in orientation and placement of nursing students in clinical units. Serves as resource to faculty. Mentors graduate students
8. Professional growth and development- Demonstrates responsibility for own professional growth and development. Maintains current certification in clinical specialty or Nursing Professional Development.
9. Research, Policies and Procedures- Evaluates current research to maintain knowledge of practice trends. Guides the development and revision of standards, policies and procedures for the Department of Nursing. Facilitates the dissemination of practice changes through Nursing Standards Committee and the Shared Governance Councils. Develops and maintains relationships with faculty and students from nursing and other clinical disciplines.
● Graduation from a state-accredited school of professional nursing.
● Bachelor's degree and Master's degree of which one must be in Nursing.
● Licensed to practice as a Registered Nurse in the state of North Carolina.
● Certification in area of specialization.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Two (2) years of clinical experience in clinical specialty.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Not Applicable
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.